It comes as no surprise that there’s plenty of events happening in the city on today… It’s Saturday, after all.
Spend your favourite day off checking out any of these awesome events going on around Calgary – or you’ll be regretting it come Monday, believe us!
Here’s a few suggestions to get you started on your big day off.
- Calgary's Reggaefest cancelled after 14 years
- Check out 400 classic vehicles at Heritage Park's car show-and-shine
- Public consumption of cannabis outlawed by Calgary city council
- What: One of the city’s favourite markets is bringing some of the very best small businesses to you – right in the suburbs! Join them for a day of craft beer, food trucks, live music, and some of the best shopping you’ll find in Calgary!
- When: Saturday, April 7
- Time: 10 am to 3 pm
- Where: Caravel Craft Brewery – 12, 10221 15th Street NE
- Admission: $5 per person, kids 14 and under are FREE
- What: Coming all the way from the National Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa, this exciting exhibition has been travelling North America for the last 10 years and Calgary marks it’s final destination. Excite your senses with this unique cultural experience that will show you everything you need to know about the king of the ocean; the whale. The exhibit shows everything from life-size whale skeletons to the evolution of these creatures and understanding how they communicate. There is so much to know about these beautiful beings.
- When: January 20 to June 20
- Where: Telus Spark – 220 St. George’s Drive NE
- Tickets: Online, $26
- What: Join Lululemon every Saturday morning for a fun morning run through iconic mountain landscapes and a chance to escape the hustle and bustle of the busy town streets!
- When: Every Saturday morning
- Time: 9 am
- Where: Lululemon Banff – 121 Banff Avenue, Banff
- Admission: Free!
- What: Cheer on the Flames in their last few games of the season!
- When: Saturday, April 7 at 8 pm vs. the Vegas Golden Knights
- Where: Scotiabank Saddledome – 555 Saddledome Rise SE, Calgary
- Tickets: Ticketmaster, $40 to $222
- What: Get inspired as you stroll through beautiful photographs taken by the famous and fascinating Frida Kahlo. There are more than 240 pieces that were kept in her home, ‘The Blue House,” for over 50 years under her estate. Visitors will have the opportunity to better understand the woman behind the artist; her origins, her roots, her friendships and romantic relationships, her fragile health, her political tendencies, and her special relationship with photography. This is the first time this exhibition has ever been presented in Canada!
- When: February 3 to May 21, 2018
- Where: The Glenbow Museum – 130 9th Avenue SE, Calgary
- Admission: Regular admission
- What: Immortalize the adorableness of your favourite pup at this furry photoshoot – all proceeds go towards the Pawsitive Match Rescue Centre!
- When: Saturday, April 7, 2018
- Time: Between 12:30 and 3:40 pm
- Where: Sue Higgins Dog Park – Southland Drive SE and Deerfoot Trail, Calgary
- Tickets: Sign up online, $20
- What: Shop over 135 of your favourite local artists, makers, and more at Make It’s spring show. Arrive home with a one-of-a-kind treasure that was made by a small business and holds the memories of an amazing afternoon at the market. Shopping local is a two-way street!
- When: April 6 to 8
- Friday: 11 am to 9 pm
- Saturday: 10 am to 6 pm
- Sunday: 11 am to 5 pm
- Where: Big Four Building – 1901 Big Four Trail SE
- Admission: $6 at the door, kids 12 and under are FREE
- What: Looking for a quick escape from the every day grind? This brand new spa combines the tranquil rejuvenation of a traditional Nordic Spa and the Alpine stillness of the Canadian Rockies. This spa is meant to provide relaxation and give you the opportunity to discover clarity in the midst of the mountains.
- Where: 1 Centennial Drive, Kananaskis
- What: Head to the summit for a beautiful snowy view above the treetops and a birds-eye view of six different mountain ranges, while sipping on coffee or a refreshing glass of wine.
- Where: 100 Mountain Avenue, Banff
- Tickets: Adult $62, child $31
Hit the slopes for spring skiing
- What: Our mountainous backyard is just waiting for us with a fluffy layer of the white stuff, perfect for winter sports and activities. Take advantage and get some spring shredding in, or take your snowshoes for an adventure around one of the many picturesque lakes that the Rockies have to offer.
- Check the websites for Sunshine, Mount Norquay and Lake Louise to find the hours of operation and trail conditions