It might be a rainy Canada Day in Calgary, but at least there’ll be a fireworks show to brighten up your night.
Providing a climax to the day’s festivities at 11 pm, the ENMAX fireworks will erupt over Calgary’s Centre Street Bridge, meaning that if you have a clear view of the sky over that portion of the Bow you should be in for quite the show.
A few of the best spots for viewing the fireworks include the South Bow River pathway between 3rd Street SW and 1st Street SW, Riverfront Avenue, Tom Campbell’s Hill Park, Nose Hill Park, and the Max Bell Centre.
Keep in mind that there will be road closures in effect for some areas, which may cut you off from your ideal vantage point. The following road closures will be in effect for July 1 between 6 pm and 3 am:
- Memorial Drive from 10th Street NW to Edmonton Trail
- Centre Street and sidewalks between 3rd Avenue S and 8th Avenue N
- Various streets in the Crescent Heights (and Rosedale) community will be restricted to residents only. There is no parking allowed in back alleyways. Ticketing and towing will be in effect.
- Access will be maintained via 4th Street NW to 3rd Street NW and the Park Plus parking lot on Memorial Drive NW west of Centre Street N
- Community Resident Access Points are:
– Crescent Road at 3rd Street NW Crescent Road at 3rd Street NW
– 2nd Street at 8th Avenue NE
– 1st Street at 9th Avenue NW
– 6th Avenue at Edmonton Trail NE
Parking bans will be in place throughout the city, so firework attendees are encouraged to walk, bike, or use public transit.
It should be noted that the Whitehorn and Rundle CTrain stations will be closed between June 30 and July 2 for scheduled maintenance, though there will be shuttle buses running in their place.
Sunday level of transit service will be provided for both Sunday, July 1 and Monday, July 2, and some bus routes will be detoured when Centre Street bridge closes for the fireworks display.
Always remember to take your garbage with you, respect the communities, and enjoy the show!
When: Sunday, July 1, 2018
Time: 11 pm
Where: Centre Street bridge
Admissions: Free, though you may have to pay for parking