If you are all about seeking out the newest and best foods being served up on the Midway at this year’s Stampede, these picks from Canadian celebrity food judges might help you prioritize your calories.
- 40 insane new foods coming to the Calgary Stampede Midway for 2017
- Try all of these epic cheese dishes at the Stampede
- 33 crazy foods people are eating at the 2017 Calgary Stampede (PHOTOS)
- These are the most meat-tastic eats at the Calgary Stampede
Faced with a selection of a dozen new Midway foods, split into equal camps of savoury and sweet, the judges sampled these foods: Cereal Monster Sandwiches, Mini-donut Chata, Rabbit Pizza, Funnel Cake Poutine, Deep Fried Lemonade, Double Bacon Mac N’ Cheese Dog, Papri Cone, Rain Drop Cake, the Texas Waffle, Deep Fried Pork Belly, Mexican Corn – The Flaming Cheto and Amsterdam Fries.
The winners are:
Best new savoury food: Funnel Cake Poutine from Next Generation Concessions.
Best new sweet food: Mini-donut Chata from Family Squeezed Lemonade
Runner ups included Mr. Crab and the Texas Waffle.
The judges panel included local restaurant favourites, food writers, athletes, and media personalities:
- Laney Liu (etalk/The Social)
- Julie Van Rosendaal (cookbook writer and food columnist with CBC)
- Dan Clapson (food writer)
- Nicole Gomes (Top Chef Canada All-Stars winner and co-owner of Cluck n’ Cleaver)
- Connie DeSousa (Top Chef contestant and co-owner of CHARCUT)
- John Jackson (co-owner of CHARCUT)
- Jan Hansen (executive chef of Hotel Arts)
- Jesse Lumsden (Canadian Olympic bobsledder)
- Mookie Wilson (KiSS 95.9)
- Justin Kripps (Canadian Olympic bobsledder)
- Kodette LaBarbera (Hockey Wives)
Hopefully that helps you aim for your most important food stops of the 2017 Stampede. Because, dang, there is a LOT to choose from.
Grab your stretchy pants and we’ll see you on the Midway!