After being cooped up in our houses for a couple of months and limited to primarily outdoor activities, nothing sounds better than skating at an indoor arena or taking a dip in a pool right now.
That dream is about to become a reality (kind of), with several City of Calgary arenas and pools set to open in February.
Don’t get too excited yet, though, as these facilities will be available by pre-booking only.
“Facilities can be booked for one-on-one training but not for games, league play, or group exercise,” said the City of Calgary in a statement, “Lessons, practices and conditioning activities for minor (under 18 years) sports and activities can be held for up to a maximum of 10 individuals including participants, coaches and trainers.”
- See also:
You’ll have to wait a little longer for public skating, swimming, and group fitness activities as they are part of later phases of the provincial plan not yet permitted by Public Health.
Six arenas are reopening as early as this Thursday, while we’ll have to wait a little longer to go swimming again – four pools will become available on February 22.
This is great news for those hoping to bring more physical activity into their lives again. “Calgary Recreation has been in touch with Hockey Calgary as well as many other sports organizations since the announcement this past weekend,” said Jarret Hoebers, Regional Manager with Calgary Recreation.
“We’re excited to get the sports community back into our facilities.”
Six sheets of ice at three arenas will reopen on Thursday, February 11:
- Max Bell Centre (Ken Bracko and Arena #2) – 1001 Barlow Trail S.E.
- Father David Bauer and Norma Bush arenas – 2424 University Drive N.W.
- Southland Leisure Centre (Ed Whalen and Joe Kryzcka arenas) – 2000 Southland Drive S.W.
Four pools will reopen on Monday, February 22:
- Bob Bahan Aquatic & Fitness Centre – 4812 14 Ave. S.E.
- Canyon Meadows Aquatic & Fitness Centre – 89 Canova Rd. S.W.
- Killarney Aquatic & Recreation Centre – 1919 29 St. S.W.
- Sir Winston Churchill Aquatic & Recreation Centre – 1520 Northmount Dr. N. W.
All other indoor City-operated recreation amenities, including leisure centres, weight rooms, and athletic fields, will remain closed until further notice.
We hope this helps you reach your fitness goals, Calgary!