14 free things to do this winter in Calgary
Dec 19 2017, 10:57 am
Looking for fun ways to spend your cold winter days that won’t cause a gaping hole in your wallet? Here are 14 fantastic free events occurring in Calgary this winter:
World Snow Day WinSport
- What: Helping everyone discover the world of sport, WinSport is offering free skiing to kids under the age of 12 who are accompanied by a paying adult. A race course will be up all day too with prizes to be won.
- Where: WinSport, COP – 88 Canada Olympic Road SW
- When: Sunday, January 17
Japan Film Festival
- What: The Consulate of Japan in Mount Royal University and Calgary Japanese language Program Present two Japanese films, Brave Story and ROBO-G, at Mount Royal University.
- Where: Jenkins Theatre, Mount Royal University – 4825 Mount Royal Gate SW
- When: Friday, January 22 at 4:10 and 6:10 p.m.
Yoga at the Library
- What: The Calgary Public Library would like to celebrate National Yoga Month with a Gentle Yoga class that is great for beginners.
- Where: Village Square Leisure Centre
- When: Saturday, January 30 at 11 a.m. to 12 p.m.
YYC Hot Chocolate Fest launch
- What: Kick off the 5th Annual Hot Chocolate Fest with free hot chocolate samples, a showcase of participating vendors and the official “inaugural sip” to commence the festival.
- Where: Calgary Farmer’ Market – 510 77 Avenue SE
- When: Saturday, January 30 at 11 a.m.
World Wetlands Day
- What: Celebrate the importance of the wetlands by getting an up-close view of a mini wetland, go on a themed scavenger hunt, learn how wetlands improve the quality of our water, and provide valuable habitat for plants and wildlife.
- Where: Devonian Gardens – 400 317 7th Avenue SW
- When: Sunday, January 31 at 1 to 3 p.m.
Experts in Education
- What: Listen to Future of Education and Learning Expert, and award-winning author Michael Horn.
- Where: Strathcona-Tweedsmuir School – 306 Avenue W
- When: Wednesday, Febuary 10 at 7 p.m.
- Cost: Free; Register here.
Family Valentine’s Day Crafts and Cookies
- What: Celebrate family month and Valentine’s Day by making crafts and enjoying refreshments.
- Where: Southland Leisure Centre – 2000 Southland Drive
- When: Wednesday, February 10
An Evening with Zadie Smith
- What: Presented by the Calgary Distinguished Writers Program, British writer Zadie Smith will be coming to the University of Calgary to do a reading and book signing.
- Where: MacEwan Hall, University of Calgary
- When: Thursday, February 11 at 7:30 p.m.
Funtastic Family Fair
- What: Come with your whole family, participate in games, face painting, get creative with crafts, sit back and be entertained.
- Where: Village Square Leisure Centre – 2623 56 Street NE
- When: Wednesday, February 17 6 to 8 p.m.
- Cost: Free
Fish Creek CommUnity Fair
- What: Get the chance to learn about the different volunteer opportunities that Fish Creek Park has to offer in 2016.
- Where: Fish Creek Environmental Learning Centre – 13931 Woodpath Road SW
- When: Saturday, February 27 from 1 to 4 p.m.
Art!Flicks: The Peel
- What: Join Arts Commons for Art!Flicks, where there will be free screenings of art appreciation. In February, they will be presenting The Peel.
- Where: Engineered Air Theatre, Arts Commons – 205 8th Avenue S.E
- When: Monday, February 29 at 7:30 p.m.
Mommylicious Trade Fair and Fun Event
- What: A show primarily offering services and products geared towards families offering over 40 vendors, face painting, a bouncy castle, and more.
- Where: Carriage House Inn – 9030 Macleod Trail SE
- When: March 6 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Where to go tobogganing
Find a hill near you and take the day to just have fun riding down the slopes.
Where to go outdoor skating for free
- Big Marlborough Park
- Bowness Park Lagoon
- Carburn Park
- Olympic Plaza
- Prairie Winds Park
- Prince’s Island Lagoon