The City of Calgary is heading up some pretty big road detours for beltline drivers starting Thursday, June 8.
To make way for the 17 Avenue south construction detour from work that started in April, the city will have one way streets in places on 14 and 15 Avenue for three to four blocks at a time, for up to approximately four months at a time.
14 and 15 Avenues were chosen as the routes of choice in order to keep bus routes operating on 17 Avenue S, instead of moving them onto 11 and 12 Avenues S.
The construction detour will follow the construction zone on 17 avenue S as it moves west. In the map below, phase 1 is highlighted in blue and phase 2 will follow.
Things to note:
- 14 and 15 Avenue S, between Macleod Trail and 8 Street SW are being switched to one-way streets on Thursday, June 8, between 7 am and 6 pm
- There will be no parking on the south side of 14 Avenue S. and the north side of 15 Avenue S, on June 8 , 7 a.m.-6 p.m., to make sure cars are parked in the right direction once the switch to one-way is completed.
- No-parking signs will be in place on June 7, posted with the times of parking restrictions for June 8.
- Look for A-frame signs at intersections, posters on buildings, and notices in parked car windshields to further notify people who drive and park in the area about the switch to one-ways and the parking restrictions on June 8.
- During the switch on June 8, crews will switch one block at a time, starting in the west end of 14 avenue S. and the east end of 15 Avenue S.