Vancouver International Airport is once again the best airport in North America.
Earlier this week, Skytrax named YVR as North America’s best airport, marking the 11th year in a row that Canada’s second-largest airport has won the award.
In addition, YVR ranked as the 13th best airport in the world, an increase of four spots from 17th place in 2018.
In the early 2010s, YVR was ranked among the top 10 airports in the world, competing with Singapore’s Changi Airport and the Hong Kong International Airport. A rise in global competition, however, from new and improved airports has pushed YVR down in recent years.
YVR’s global ranking finishes ahead of Frankfurt Airport and Helinski-Vantaa International Airport.
- See also:
Changi is ranked as the world’s best airport, followed by Tokyo Haneda Airport, Doha Homad Airport, Seoul Incheon Airport, and Munich.
Only two other Canadian airports were ranked in the top 100; Toronto Pearson International Airport was ranked 42nd (a noticeable jump from 50th in 2019), and Montreal Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport was 57th (up from 62nd in 2019).
Skytrax’s airport rankings are based on passenger comfort and airport design.
In addition to ranking airports, the annual Skytrax rankings survey other avenues of the aviation industry, such as airlines, airline lodges, airport hotels, airport dining, airport shopping, and airport staff.
Fairmont Vancouver Airport Hotel, which is attached to the YVR terminal building in the transborder wing, won a consecutive award for best airport hotel in North America.
Additionally, YVR staff have also ranked the second-best in North America, just after Montreal Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport and ahead of Seattle-Tacoma International Airport.
1. Vancouver International Airport
2. Houston George Bush International Airport
3. Cincinnati-Northern Kentucky International Airport
4. Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport
5. Toronto Pearson International Airport
1. Fairmont Vancouver Airport
2. Grand Hyatt at SFO
3. Westin Denver International Airport
4. Crowne Plaza Seattle Airport
5. Grand Hyatt DFW
1. Montreal Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport
2. Vancouver International Airport
3. Seattle-Tacoma International Airport
4. Denver International Airport
5. Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport