Sedins, Markstrom named to Team Sweden roster at World Cup of Hockey
Team Sweden has announced their first 16 players that will compete at the World Cup of Hockey that will take place in Toronto this September.
Sweden is loaded top to bottom and will be one of the favourites to win this tournament. They lost to Canada in the gold medal game at the 2014 Olympics in Sochi. Their only win at a best-on-best tournament was at the 2006 Games in Turin.
As expected, Canucks players Daniel and Henrik Sedin were named to the team. The big surprise, from a Canucks perspective, is that defenceman Alex Edler was not named to the team, while goaltender Jacob Markstrom was.
Sweden has incredible depth on defence, so it’s understandable that Edler was left off. He’s still a strong bet to be named when the full 23-man roster is announced in June.
- Henrik Lundqvist, New York Rangers
- Jacob Markstrom, Vancouver Canucks
- Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Arizona Coyotes
- Victor Hedman, Tampa Bay Lightning
- Niklas Hjalmarsson, Chicago Blackhawks
- Erik Karlsson, Ottawa Senators
- Niklas Kronwall, Detroit Red Wings
- Anton Stralman, Tampa Bay Lightning
- Nicklas Backstrom, Washington Capitals
- Loui Eriksson, Boston Bruins
- Filip Forsberg, Nashville Predators
- Gabriel Landeskog, Colorado Avalanche
- Daniel Sedin, Vancouver Canucks
- Henrik Sedin, Vancouver Canucks
- Alexander Steen, St. Louis Blues
- Henrik Zetterberg, Detroit Red Wings