Late last year, Vancouver Whitecaps FC clinched Canada’s entry into the 2015-16 CONCACAF Champions League (CCL), the first time in club history, and will play host to Seattle Sounders FC on August 5 in their first group stage match.
What is the CCL?
The CONCACAF Champions League is an annual continental club football competition that involves champions of countries in North America, Central America and the Caribbean. The winner of the tournament moves on to the 2016 FIFA Club World Cup against the champions of Africa, Asia, Europe, Oceania and South America, as well as the champion of the host country.
The 24 teams are split into eight groups of three, each playing the other two teams in their group twice (home and away) from August to October 2015. The team with the best record in each group will move on to the Championship Stage, running from March through May 2016, consisting of knockout quarterfinals, semifinals and championship rounds.
Whitecaps FC – Group F
Whitecaps FC are joined by Seattle Sounders FC, who make their fourth CCL appearance, and Honduras’ C.D. Olimpia, making their eighth CCL appearance.
Whitecaps FC schedule:
All matches start at 7 p.m. PT
- Wednesday, August 5 vs. Seattle Sounders FC at BC Place
- Wednesday, September 16 vs. C.D. Olimpia at BC Place
- Wednesday, September 23 at Seattle Sounders FC
- Thursday, October 22 at C.D. Olimpia
To enter to win a pair of tickets to Wednesday’s match versus Seattle, plus a Whitecaps FC scarf, do at least one of the following:
1. Tweet the following on Twitter: (1 entry)
- Win a scarf + 2 tix to @WhitecapsFC’s first ever #CONCACAF @TheChampions match on Aug 5 via @VancityBuzz http://ow.ly/QoGVS RT to enter!
2. Leave a comment below telling us your favourite Whitecaps FC player. Hint! (1 entry)
3. Like the Vancity Buzz Sports Facebook page. Leave a comment below telling us once you have. (1 entry)
Contest entries will be accepted from time and date of publishing until 5:59 p.m. PST on August 4, 2015. One winner will be chosen at random and contacted through the platform they enter by.