WestJet will be expanding Vancouver International Airport’s (YVR) reach on a seasonal basis this summer with two new frequent non-stop, direct flight routes to two Ontario cities.
The airline announced today that it will operate new routes from Vancouver to Hamilton and London beginning on June 29 and 30, respectively. Both services will operate until September 4.
“We are excited to welcome new, non-stop services to London and Hamilton, both of which will offer passengers greater convenience and more connectivity – just in time for the busy summer travel season,” said Anne Murray, Vice President, Marketing and Communications, Vancouver Airport Authority, in a statement. “Both locales are popular tourist destinations, known for their warm summers, family-friendly activities and proximity to the Great Lakes.”
The route to London will operate four times weekly, with flights leaving YVR at 10:15 a.m. and arriving at London International Airport at 4:27 p.m. The aircraft will leave London at 5:30 p.m. and arrive at YVR at 7:18 p.m.
As for the route to Hamilton, the service will operate three times weekly. Flights leave YVR at 10:15 a.m. and arrive at John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport (YHM) at 5:35 p.m. For flights returning to Vancouver, flights will depart YHM at 6:40 p.m. and arrive at YVR at 8:38 p.m.
WestJet’s decision to introduce new seasonal flights from Vancouver comes just weeks after the airline cut a number of short-haul routes from B.C. towns to Alberta amid the downtown of Alberta’s economy.
In early-May, WestJet will be launching a new non-stop, direct service from Vancouver to Gatwick Airport in London, U.K. The service will operate six times weekly.
New and improved major YVR routes 2015/2016
- March 15, 2015: Manila, Philippines and New York City, U.S.A. – Philippine Airlines adds four weekly flights to its route from Manila to NYC, with a stop in Vancouver.
- March 29, 2015: Paris, France – Air France begins three times weekly non-stop flight service, with five times weekly schedules during the summer months.
- May 1, 2015: Osaka, Japan – Air Canada Rouge begins five times weekly service to Kansai International Airport.
- June 26, 2015: Kungming, China – China Eastern Airlines begins three times weekly flight service via Shanghai.
- December 9, 2015: Mexico City, Mexico – Aeromexico to begin daily non-stop flight service.
- January 1, 2016: Orlando International Airport – WestJet to begin twice weekly non-stop flight service.
- January 20, 2016: Orlando-Sanford International Airport – National Airlines to begin two times weekly flight service.
- February 15, 2016: Cancun, Mexico – Air Canada to begin weekly, non-stop seasonal service.
- May 1, 2016: London Heathrow Airport – British Airways to use an AirBus A380 superjumbo jet for its existing daily non-stop London Heathrow Airport service. The A380 will only be used during the summer months.
- May 6, 2016: London Gatwick Airport – WestJet to begin six times weekly non-stop flight service.
- May 9, 2016: Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport – Air Canada to begin twice daily, non-stop service to San Jose.
- June 4, 2016: Chicago O’Hare International Airport – Air Canada to begin daily, non-stop service.
- June 6, 2016: San Diego International Airport – Air Canada to begin daily, non-stop service.
- June 10, 2016: Dublin Airport – Air Canada to begin seasonal non-stop flight service.
- June 17, 2016: Brisbane, Australia – Air Canada to begin daily non-stop flight service.
- June 29, 2016: London, Ontario – WestJet to begin four times weekly non-stop seasonal flight service.
- June 30, 2016: Hamilton, Ontario – WestJet to begin three times weekly non-stop seasonal flight service.
- July 25, 2016: Xiamen, China – Xiamen Airlines to begin three times weekly non-stop flight service.