We Canada is a nation-wide initiative dedicated to educating Canadians about sustainable development, and showing our government that Canada’s leadership at the 2012 Earth Summit is incredibly important. On July 1st, WE CANADA is holding Canada Day celebrations across the country in Vancouver, Toronto and Ottawa to bring awareness to this cause.
Twenty years after sustainable development became an international topic of discussion at the Earth Summit in 1992, significant changes have yet to be made.
We Canada is asking Canadians to get the conversation started on Canada Day by coming out to this event. We Canada wants to give our leaders in parliament ideas on what we can do as a country to work towards a sustainable future – starting with attending and taking a leadership role at the Earth Summit 2012 (also known as United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development).
July 1st: Canada Day Celebration of Sustainability – Olympic Village, Vancouver
12 p.m. – Event begins Buskers, organizations’ host tables, food vendors
12:30 p.m. – The Phonix Band performance
1 p.m. – 3 p.m. Workshops/Speakers
1. Fair Trade: Now You Know by Sean McHugh & Sasha Caldera
2. One Earth: How to Lead Social Change For Sustainability by Vanessa Timmer
3. Transition Towns & Village Vancouver: building Fun & Resilient Communities, Neighbourhood by Neighbourhood by Ross Moster
4. The Changing Face of Media: Vancouver International South Asian Film Festival by Agam Darshi
5. We Canada: The Voice of Change at Earth Summit 2012 by Aleksandra Nasteska