Shortly after appealing to the public to help identify a man responsible for nine Metro Vancouver bank robberies, the Vancouver Police Department says they’ve captured the suspect.
His capture comes as the result of a 10th robbery at the TD Bank at 4994 Kingsway Avenue in Burnaby on Thursday evening at around 8:30 p.m.
The man whose name can’t be released pending charge approval by Crown Counsel had been on a robbery spree for the past month. He managed to commit the following bank robberies:
- January 20, 10 a.m.: TD Bank at 3710 Canada Way, Burnaby
- January 26, 3:30 p.m.: CIBC at 2890 Grandview Highway, Vancouver
- January 29, 9:45 a.m. and 9:55 a.m.: Two BMOs at 3290 Grandview Highway, Vancouver and 3263 Kingsway, Burnaby
- February 2, 4 p.m.: TD Bank at 2396 East Broadway, Vancouver
- February 5, 6:30 p.m.: TD Bank at 4993 Kingsway, Vancouver
- February 10, 5 p.m.: TD Bank at 3710 Canada Way, Burnaby
- February 13, 3:30 p.m: BMO at 3263 Kingsway, Vancouver
- February 17, 3:30 p.m.: CIBC at 2890 Grandview Highway, Vancouver
“With advances in video technology, evidence collection and security measures at banks, it’s not a matter of if you will caught for robbing a bank, it’s a matter of when,” said VPD spokesperson Sergeant Randy Fincham in a statement.