The Vancouver tech scene is booming, and at its helm: Women entrepreneurs.
According to recent findings, startups founded by women are 20 per cent more likely to be revenue-generating, with investors making an average 35 per cent higher return on investment when they finance female founders.
Vanessa Dawson, former Vancouverite and Founder of The Vinetta Project states, “We need to invigorate the system and change the distribution of knowledge, power and capital.”
According to Dawnson, smart investors are putting large pools of money into projects by female founders. A recent study by First Round Capital found that companies with female founders performed 63 per cent better than those with teams of all-male founders. Dawson explains that Vinetta is focused on sourcing and supporting high-growth startup teams with female founders, and insists they’ll be the companies providing the highest returns both socially and economically for their investors.
On August 26, the Vinetta Project will be hosting their quarterly Startup Pitch & Panel Event, The Vinetta Showcase, at 375 Water Street (The Profile) starting at 6:30 p.m. The Vinetta Showcase brings a panel of active investors and successful entrepreneurs to judge the startup pitches of top female founders in front of a live audience of leading founders and funders. Get your tickets here and use the promo code vp-vancitybuzz to get 40 per cent off the ticket price.
The all-star panel line-up includes:
- Maninder Dhaliwal, CEO & Co-Founder of Lions Gate International
- Jill Earthy, Regional Director for BC & Yukon of Futurpreneur Canada
- Manny Padda, Founder of New Avenue Capital
- Norma Biln, Founder & CEO of Augurex
And the trail-blazing female founded startups pitching are:
- H + Technology presented by Yamin Li, CFO & Co-Founder – A holographic interactive system creating a new reality where the digital world meets the physical world.
- Perked! presented by Jane Chung, CEO & Co-Founder – A mobile mental fitness platform designed to close a critical loop – empowering individuals with the daily factors that significantly affect their mental and emotional wellbeing.
- Head Check Health presented by Kerry Costello, Co-Founder – A mobile app enabling better sideline sports concussion decisions with objective assessments and improved data management.
If you have a company in seed stage and you would like to pitch your idea at one of the Vinetta events, you can apply here.
Meet The Vinetta Project Team – Vancouver Chapter:
Vanessa Dawson: Founder & CEO of The Vinetta Project
Nicole Parmar: Vinetta Chapter Lead: CEO & Founder of Nicole Parmar