With all the attention the World Cup is getting, there’s no better time than now to celebrate Latin America in Vancouver through Latin America Week and Carnaval del Sol.
Kicking off Saturday, June 28 and continuing until Sunday, July 6, Latin America Week will feature a variety of festivities, including Latin vibes, music and cuisine as part of the dance party on Vancouver’s largest cruising vessel – the MV Britannia – as it departs Coal Harbour and cruises False Creek. Dance to Salsa, Merengue, Bachata rhythms and the hottest Latin music and don’t worry – free lessons are provided.
For the fútbol fans in the city, Latin America House will open at the Edgewater Casino to bring Latin soccer fever to Vancouver in celebration of the FIFA World Cup. The House will show most matches on their three 18 feet high HD screens and is open to fans of any nation.
Throughout the week, there will also be a food festival, showcasing Latin American menus as participating restaurants will offer tasting menus at a special price to allow diners a chance to try out some unique flavours.
But the biggest and best event is saved for last. On July 5 & 6, Graville Street will play host to a free, family family fiesta with over 400 performers presenting on three separate stages for Carnaval del Sol.
For more information on these events, visit carnavaldelsol.com/.
Vancouver Latin America Week Events
Carnaval del Sol Salsa Cruise
- Where: 501 Denman Street
- When: Saturday, June 28 – 8:30PM
- Cost: $28 advanced, $33 at the door
- Website: carnavaldelsol.com/salsacruise
Inspirational Latin Awards
- Where: Edgewater Casino Stadium Club
- When: July 2 – 6:30PM to midnight
- Cost: $50 before June 30, $60 afterwards
- Website: carnavaldelsol.com/latinoawardsbc
Fiesta Latina Ultimate Party
- Where: Fanclub – 1050 Granville Street
- When: Thursday, July 3
- Website: carnavaldelsol.com/events/fiesta-latina
Tastes of Latin America
- Where: El Azteca Mexican Kitchen & Bar, Magda’s, Poncho’s Mexican Restaurant & Salteñas Cafe & Pastries
- When: June 28 to July 6
- Website: carnavaldelsol.com/tola
Latin America House
- Where: Latin America House at Edgewater Casino
- When: June 12 to July 13
- Cost: $5.00
- Website: carnavaldelsol.com/latinamericahouse
Carnaval del Sol
- Where: Granville Street
- When: Saturday, July 5 & Sunday, July 6
- Cost: Free
- Website: carnavaldelsol.com/carnaval-del-sol-2014
Image: Latin America Week
Featured Image: Carnaval del Sol