It’s Valentine’s Day soon and chances are you’re tired of the same old date ideas. After all, restaurants and romantic movies are so cliché and you want to do something a bit different this year.
Thankfully, Vancouver is full of great activities that you can enjoy with your significant other. So, from outdoor adventures to escape room experiences here are 19 Valentine’s Day date ideas that are a little different to what your loved one might expect.
Explore the outdoors
Vancouver has a vast array of local mountains to choose from such as:
- What: Go on a walking tour of the beautiful VanDusen botanical gardens in the heart of Vancouver. It’s easily one of the more romantic outdoor activity options the city has to offer.
- Where: 5251 Oak Street, Vancouver
- Website: vandusengarden.org
Walk the Stanley Park seawall
The seawall in Stanley Park is absolutely beautiful and makes for the perfect romantic stroll. If you stop at third beach to admire the scenery, you could even take the opportunity to sneak in a cheeky kiss.
- What: Nothing says Valentine’s Day like a romantic skate with your special someone. Open from noon to 9 p.m., this Valentine’s Day at Robson Square Ice Rink will be extra special as it pays host to five officiants who will be providing complimentary vow renewals and wedding ceremonies (noon to 4 p.m.) Whether you’re tying the knot yourself or enjoying the spectacle of someone else’s big day, it’s sure to be one of the most romantic spots in the city.
- Where: Robson Square – 800 Robson Street, Vancouver
Go on a wine tour
- What: This Langley winery takes an artisanal approach to crafting fine wines and a tour of their winery will give you a glimpse at the journey their wines take from vine to bottle.
- Where: 21152 16th Avenue, Langley
- Website: township7.com
- What: This 55-acre heritage farm is full of old-time beauty, including the focal point of the vineyard, the Old Grainery Store that was fully restored by owner Terry Bremner. Guests can sample from a selection of table and dessert wines.
- Where: 4626 88th Street, Delta
- Website: wellbrookwinery.com
- What: Vancouver Urban Winery is described as a boutique winery in the heart of Railtown, just two blocks east of Gastown. Their tasting room boasts 36 wine taps where you can taste their in-house wine as well as a selection of other B.C. wines.
- Where: 55 Dunlevy Street, Vancouver
- Website: vancouverurbanwinery.com
Food and Drink
- What: The Vancouver Hot Chocolate Festival is back for its fifth year, and this time, even more chocolate makers have come together to spike their hot chocolate drinks with the wildest, most delicious flavours you can imagine.
- Where: Various locations.
- When: Saturday, January 16 to Sunday, February 14
- What: Vancouver Brewery Tours presents their second For The Love Of The Craft — A Valentine’s Day Brewery Tour. The romantic, beer-fuelled excursion will stop at Big Rock Urban Brewery,Storm Brewing, and Strange Fellows Brewing. Transported around the city in a mini-van, participants will get to enjoy a range of beer samples (including a Valentine’s-themed beer made especially for the day), appetizers, and Thomas Haas chocolate.
- Where: Multiple venues (check website)
- When: Sunday, February 14, from 2 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- What: Create unique memories with your special valentine at the Vancouver Aquarium with a one of a kind experience where you can wine and dine your valentine in the Tropical gallery with a three course dinner from the aquarium’s culinary team.
- Where: Vancouver Aquarium – 845 Avison Way, Vancouver
- When: Saturday, February 13
See a show
- What: It takes two to tango this Valentine’s Day at the Rio Theatre! Back after last year’s sold out show, the highly anticipated Burlesque Duos will feature never seen before Burlesque duets featuring eight of Vancouver’s top teasers.
- Where: Rio Theatre – 1660 East Broadway, Vancouver
- When: Saturday, February 13; doors open at 8 p.m.
- What: Vancouver Theatre Sports is more than just a comedy show: it’s a daring and innovate improv performance which promises to be one of the most entertaining shows you’ll ever see. See a show, then walk around the charming and beautiful streets of Granville Island with your date afterwards.
- Where: 1502 Duranleau Street, Vancouver
See a hockey game
- Where: Rogers Arena – 800 Griffiths Way, Vancouver
- When: Friday, February 13; 7 p.m.
- Where: Rogers Arena – 800 Griffiths Way, Vancouver
- When: Monday, February 15; 7 p.m.
- What: Solving a crazy puzzle is a unique Valentine’s Day date. Try your hand at Exit Room, an interactive game where at least two players have to figure out how to escape a room in 45 minutes by discovering various clues.
- Where: 309 West Broadway, Vancouver
- Website: e-exit.ca
- What: What better day-date is there than Science World? With awesome exhibits like the Body Worlds: Animals Inside Out display, you’re sure to both have an amazing date and learn something at the same time.
- Where: 1455 Quebec Street, Vancouver
- Website: scienceworld.ca
- What: See the latest exhibit at the Vancouver Art Gallery with your date. Local artist Elizabeth Zvonar is currently on display. Wander the gallery, and grab a glass of wine at the café afterwards.
- Where: 750 Horby Street, Vancouver
- Website: vanartgallery.bc.ca
- What: Built as a festival that celebrates one of the oldest traditions for many Asian cultures – Lunar New Year, LunarFest aims to collaborate with many Asian communities and outreaches to other Canadians. Since the inception, LunarFest is also built on an important artistic element for many cultures – the lanterns. Admire their beauty with your date this weekend.
- Where: Vancouver Art Gallery Plaza, Vancouver
- When: Friday, February 12 to Sunday, February 14
- What: FlyOver Canada is proud to bring back Flight of the Dragon. For a limited time, guests will get to experience Flight of the Dragon and FlyOver Canada back-to-back for the regular FlyOver Canada admission price! Start your experience off in the pre-show room, where you will see beautiful festive theming and still images of Chinese New Year celebrations. Then, buckle up your seatbelts and get prepared for the virtual flight rides! First, follow a mythical dragon as you soar over some of China’s most spectacular landscapes and scenery during Flight of the Dragon. Then, stay seated and take off again to experience, the Ultimate Flying Ride, FlyOver Canada, a thrilling virtual flight ride that takes you across Canada from east-to-west.
- Where: FlyOver Canada – 201-999 Canada Place, Vancouver
- When: Until March 6, 2016