Vancouver is a great place to live. Some even argue that is one of the greatest places to live. While we proudly call Vancouver our abode, there are some serious issues stemming in our great city. One of them is the poverty that many kids face on a daily basis. Every day in our city, there are children that go to school without food in their tummies and warm clothes on their backs. When they return home, more often than we would like to admit, there are instances of abusive and inadequate parenting.
Enter British Columbian schools. Out of sheer need, schools have become much more than educational centres. They are an arm of the welfare system, providing food, clean clothes, and most importantly, an ear to listen and the heart to show that others care. The Vancouver Sun Kids Fund is a charity that has been around for over thirty years. This year, they have launched the Adopt-A-School program where 24 schools have come forth and identified themselves as a school in need. All of this was the result of a story written in the paper, about a frusterated teacher who faced critical needs with limited resources. The needs of these kids are real and immediate.
The good news is that businesses, people and even other schools in more affluent areas are stepping in to help. TELUS was first to come on board as the first corporate sponsor. For every Facebook Like, they are offerring $1 to the charity, which will be matched, dollar for the dollar by the fund. One Like, $2 for hungry kids. As the most outstanding philanthropic corporation in the world, this was no surprise. Then there was Future Shop who surprised a local school with computers so that they can continue their after-school study group. Not to mention Frogbox, who responded to a tweet, and provided free boxes to collect jackets at a Shad concert over the weekend. These are only a few examples of genorosity our city has. Here’s how you can help:
- Like Vancouver Sun Kids Fund on Facebook. 1 Like = $4 due to the support of the fund, TELUS and other donors. https://www.facebook.com/VanSunKidsFund
- Text SUNKIDS to 20222 to donate $5 to the fund
- Complete the donation form at: https://vancouverfoundation.ca/vansunkids/donateonline.asp.
- PHONE: To pay by credit card, call 604-605-2426.
- NEW ITEMS: Our Adopt-a-School project not only collects money, it is a conduit so readers can immediately donate goods such as coats, shoes and gloves directly to schools and students who need them most. For information on how to donate new items, email [email protected] or call Adopt-a-School coordinator Kathy Anderson at 604-605-2654.
Image Credits: Vancouver Sun