Metro Vancouver has long been known as a popular place for a variety of night markets and this year is no different. Here’s our guide on where to get your hands on some of the best food, entertainment and cheap merchandise around.
The “new kid on the block”, the Shipyards Night Market features products from local farmers and artisans, a wide variety of food, plus live entertainment in the picturesque setting of the historic Wallace Shipyard.
The location of the market – the Shipyards Plaza – makes this a perfect destination to bike, walk or rollerblade.
- When: 5 to 10 p.m. on Fridays from May 2 until September 26
- Where: 15 Wallace Mews Road, North Vancouver
- Cost of Admission: Free
- Parking/Transit: Free parking is available at the nearby ICBC parking garage, while transit riders can take the SeaBus to Lonsdale Quay.
The Richmond Night Market features over 80 food stalls and over 200 vendors, and is well known for its amusement park rides and a zip line. $10 and $20 “Zoom Passes” are available for purchase for those making repeat visits.
- When: 7 p.m. to midnight on Fridays and Saturdays and 7 to 11 p.m. on Sundays from May 16 until October 13
- Where: 8351 River Road, Richmond
- Cost of Admission: Regular admission: $2.25 for adults, children 10 and under: free
- Parking/Transit: Free parking is offered. For transit, take the Canada Line to Bridgeport Station and walk.
The International Summer Night Market is a foodie favourite, featuring everything from “sno-cones” to “hurricane” potatoes. Plus, belgian waffles! Make sure to come on an empty stomach.
- When: 7 p.m. to midnight on Fridays and Saturdays and 7 to 11 p.m. on Sundays from May 9 until September 14
- Where: 12631 Vulcan Way, Richmond
- Cost of Admission: Regular admission: $2.00; children under 48 inches tall and seniors over 65 years of age can enter for free.
- Parking/Transit: Parking at the market will cost you $5 – $6, but there is a free shuttlebus running to and from Bridgeport Skytrain Station.
The inaugural Surrey Night Market will be held at the Cloverdale Exhibition Grounds as an multicultural event that celebrates community inclusion.
- When: 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays from July 4 to August 30
- Where: Across from Agriplex, Cloverdale Exhibition Grounds, 6050 176 Street, Surrey, BC
- Cost of Admission: TBD (free for seniors 75+ and children under 10 years)
- Parking/Transit: On-site parking will be free for attendees
Unfortunately, it seems the Chinatown Night Market will not be returning this summer. Keefer Street will sorely miss the music and stories that the festivities usually bring. Hopefully the Chinatown Night Market is able to make its return in 2015.
Featured Image: Richmond Night Market