Halloween is a time meant for getting together, caring for one another, and then ripping all of that away with a good scare and a gorilla mask.
- Frankenstein's Lab: Haunt of Edgemont 2017 returns to North Vancouver
- Dream Horror live haunted house returns for last year ever in Vancouver
- Trick-or-treat and trains: Halloween on the Heights returns to Burnaby
In that vein, here are seven great haunted houses in the Metro Vancouver area you can bring your friends to.
Whatever happens, make it happen in a haunted house this October.
- What: Fright Nights at Playland are back, and that means a slew of scary environments throughout the month, testing your wits and your ability to handle frights!
- When: Select dates between Friday, October 6 and Tuesday, October 31
- Time: 7 pm to midnight or 1 am depending on the day
- Where: Playland at the PNE – 2901 East Hastings Street, Vancouver
- Price: Tickets are available online from $22 and/or you can upgrade to a rapid pass, starting at $65, depending on the date. Tickets available via Fright Nights, at the gate, and also at Lower Mainland 7-Eleven Stores starting October 4.
- What: Frankly, its title couldn’t be more up front about what it is. There are terrifying clowns with chainsaws, probably riding tiny bikes with dolls. It’ll scare you. Check it out.
- When: Monday, October 16 to Tuesday, October 31. Check website for hours.
- Where: The Beaumont Studios – 316 West 5th Avenue, Vancouver
- Tickets: Tickets available online.
- What: Reapers Haunted Attraction, initially a small draw, has grown into something of a must-see. There you can expect to see not only the creepy house, but a twisted, wandering maze, and actors who’ve perfected the art of the jump scare.
- Where: 9423 Gibson Road, Chilliwack
- When: Open until October 31, 2017 with various hours. Click here for more.
- Tickets: $11 for each attraction or $20 for both. Patrons get $1 off with a non-perishable food item.
- What: The newest in a long line years with of Haunt of Edgemont, this time around the theme is Frankenstein’s Lab. The place is decked out in unsettling science equipment, actors, and all around bad vibes.
- When: October 7 to 31. Monday to Friday from 6 pm to 10 pm, and Saturday and Sunday from noon to 10 pm.
- Where: 3414 Emerald Drive, North Vancouver
- Tickets: By donation. Proceeds donated to the BC Professional Firefighters’ Burn Fund.
- What: This is a must-see. The Dream Horror Haunted House is in its last year. It’s been around 18 years, which means it’s as old as some of the freshmen at UBC this year (scary, I know). 21 live actors, trap rooms and crawl spaces, clowns, and creepy dolls. What more could you ask for?
- When: From Friday, October 13 to Tuesday, October 31, 2017
- Time: 7:30 pm to 11:30 pm every night
- Where: 3532 Commercial Street, Vancouver
- Tickets: On the door, $10
- What: Not a big house, the journey through only takes five minutes. But oh will you ever carry those five minutes with you for long after. You encounter a number of distractions (that’s putting it lightly) along the way. Note: There’s replay value in this one.
- When: October 27 to October 28, 2017
- Time: 7 pm to 9 pm on October 27, and 4:30 pm to 8:30 pm on October 28
- Where: 1447 Barclay St., Vancouver
- Tickets: $3 per person, or $10 per family of four.
- What: No, this has nothing to do with Harry Potter, and that realization is not the scariest thing about this. It is 15,000 sq. ft of terror. It’s built like a labyrinth. It houses shriek-inducing animatronics and (you guessed it) more actors.
- When: Open nightly until October 31 – 4 pm to 10 pm (regular scary shows from 7 pm to 10 pm)
- Where: 12530 72 Avenue, Surrey
- Tickets: Prices vary, and can be found here!