26 things to do in Vancouver this Labour Day long weekend
Dec 20 2017, 1:12 am
Here are some of the top events to check out in Vancouver during the Labour Day long weekend, September 4 to 7. For a complete list of events, head over to our Vancouver Events Calendar.
Aritzia Warehouse Sale
- What: The biggest warehouse sale returns to the Vancouver Convention Centre for five days of sale madness. Shop all of Artizia’s on-sale spring, summer, fall and winter merchandise at an incredibly low price. Line ups will be long and patience will be tested. Go at your own (and your wallet’s) risk.
- Where: Vancouver Convention Centre – 1055 Canada Place, Vancouver
- When: Thursday, September 3 to Sunday, September 7; 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
The Fair at the PNE
- What: The annual fair returns this August with all the classic attractions and food, plus new events including Peter Pan: The Broadway Musical, The Beatles Memorabilia Exhibit, Superhero Discovery Centre, Dinosaurs Alive! A Jurassic Experience, Mermaid Tales and the 5K Donut Dash.
- Where: Pacific National Exhibition – 2901 East Hastings Street, Vancouver
- When: Saturday, August 22 to Monday September 7 (closed August 24 & 31); 11 a.m. till late.
PNE Summer Concerts
- What: This year’s Summer Night Concerts feature an exciting array of artists that are sure to please fans of all genres. Pop stars, Country favorites, R&B icons, and Rock ‘N’ Roll legends, will all be showcased at the 2015 PNE Concert series.
- Where: PNE Amphitheater inside the PNE Fair grounds, Vancouver
- When: Nightly between August 23 and September 7
- What: TaiwanFest returns to Vancouver this September. Taking place over four consecutive days, this celebration of Taiwanese culture features live performances, folk music, workshops, a delicious street buffet (which should not be missed), Chinese medicine and much more.
- Where: Opening concert (September 4) will take place at The Centre in Vancouver for Performing Arts – 777 Homer Street – and festival days, September 5 to 7, will take place on Granville Street (Smithe to Dunsmuir)
- When: Friday, September 4 to Monday, September 7
50% off all Cineplex Films
- What: Starting Monday and running until Friday, September 4, all Cineplex theatres across Canada will be offering a 50 per cent discount on all tickets for any movie – an extension of its weekly “Tuesday Everyday” price. This includes premium ticket experiences such as 3D, IMAX, UltraAVX, DBOX and VIP Cinemas.
- When: Monday, August 31 to Friday, September 4
- Where: Various locations. Click here for a full list.
Sins of the City – Vice, Dice & Opium Pipes
- What: Experience the world of a cop in the 1920s when Vancouver was a seething hub of sex, drugs, booze and organized crime. Your 90-minute walking tour takes you through the streets and alleys of Chinatown on the lookout for brothels, bootlegging joints, gambling houses and opium dens. This is a must-see tour for anyone looking for the edgier side of this great city!
- Where: Vancouver Police Museum – 240 East Cordova Street, Vancouver
- When: Friday, September 4; 3 to 5 p.m.
The National Circus of Acrobats
- What: Some of China’s most skilled and acclaimed acrobats are coming to Vancouver in September for a one-night only performance at the Orpheum Theatre.
- Where: Orpheum Theatre – 601 Smithe St, Vancouver
- When: Friday, September 4; 7:30 p.m.
- What: Experience Serbian culture, dance, music, food and games at the 2015 Serbian Days festival, which is set to take place at the Saint Sava Serbian Orthodox Church.
- Where: Saint Sava Serbian Orthodox Church – 505 East 63rd Avenue, Vancouver
- When: Saturday, September 5 to Sunday, September 6
Richmond World Festival
- What: Richmond World Festival is the City’s newest signature event and its first major multicultural festival. Scheduled for September 5th of the Labour Day long weekend, this festival will celebrate Richmond’s significant cultural diversity and they’re inviting the world to the party.
- Where: Minoru Park – 7191 Granville Avenue, Richmond
- When: September 5; 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Vancouver Zombie Walk
- What: The Zombie Walk is the city’s largest flash mob, with participants numbering in the thousands. Zombies, ghouls, wights, revenents, walkers, runners, and flesh-eaters of all kinds will line the streets, with a few survivors thrown in for good measure.
- Where: TBA, Downtown Vancouver
- When: Saturday, September 5; begins at 3 p.m.
Victory Square Block Party 2015
- What: Presented by CiTR Radio 101.9FM & Music Waste, the Victory Square Block Party is a yearly community celebration, featuring some of the best music groups in Vancouver, food, fun, and community pride.
- Where: Victory Square – Hastings Street and Cambie Street, Vancouver
- When: Sunday, September 6; 1:30 to 9 p.m
Food Cart Fest
- What: The street food extravaganza hosts their final event of the season. Attendees to the final event can expect an array of delicious food truck fare. In fact, more than 20 of Vancouver’s most popular food carts will be in attendance.
- Where: 215 West 1st Avenue, Olympic Village
- When: Sunday, September 6; noon to 5 p.m.
Mad Decent Block Party
- What: Once again Blueprint and Live Nation are bringing the Mad Decent Block Party to Vancouver as Diplo and his crew return to bring the noise to the PNE Amphitheatre. It will be an all ages show with a VIP (19+) area as well.
- Where: PNE Amphitheatre
- When: Sunday, September 6; doors open at 3 p.m.
Double Feature at the River District Drive-in
- What: In Vancouver’s new River District, Fresh Air Cinema and Wesgroup are airing four classic movies, evoking one of the most cherished and personal eras of cinema. This weekend’s double-feature flicks are The Outsiders, starring young Tom Cruise, Rob Lowe and Patrick Swayze and coming-of-age classic Stand By Me.
- Where: River District – East Kent Road and Boundary Road, Vancouver
- When: Sunday, September 6; 8 p.m.
Music in the Park
- What: What better way to end the summer than spending the day outside listening to great music, visiting local artists at work and soaking up those last rays of summer sun, while taking in the majestic views of the North Shore mountains and the pristine Capilano Reservoir?
- Where: Cleveland Dam – Capilano Road and Prospect Avenue, North Vancouuver
- When: Monday, September 7; noon to 5 p.m.
International Summer Night Market
- What: Each weekend over 20,000 visitors hit up this massive summertime night market in Richmond and experience the diverse array of booths, food and drink vendors, kids’ play area, and live entertainment.
- Where: 12631 Vulcan Way (behind Home Depot on Sweden Way), Richmond
- When: Friday, May 8 to September 27; Fridays and Saturdays 6 to 11 p.m. and Sundays 6 to 10 p.m.
Richmond Night Market
- What: Drawing crowds from all over Metro Vancouver, the Richmond Night Market is located within easy access of the Canada Line’s Bridgeport Station. Roam the aisles to find games, food, and all sorts of wares for sale. Late nighters take note, this is the only local night market open until midnight (Fridays and Saturdays).
- Where: 8351 River Rd. (nearby Bridgeport Station)
- When: May 15 to October 12, 2015; Fridays and Saturdays 7 p.m. to Midnight, Sundays and holiday Mondays 7 to 11 p.m.
Shipyards Night Market
- What: The Shipyards Night market features food trucks, live music, numerous vendors and a beer garden.
- Where: Shipbuilders’ Square – 138 Victory Ship Way, North Vancouver
- When: May 1 to September 25; Fridays, 5 to 10 p.m.
Trout Lake Farmers’ Market
- What: This is the farmers’ market that started up in 1995 and became the cornerstone of the Vancouver Farmers’ Market collective of markets.
- Where: Lakewood Drive and 13th Avenue, East Vancouver
- When: Saturdays; 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.; May 9 to October 24
West End Farmers’ Market
- What: The West End’s relaxed Saturday market is a great meeting spot for locals. Grab a cup of coffee, peek at the adjacent community gardens, and take a stroll with your purchases at Nelson Park.
- Where: Comox Street (between Bute and Thurlow), Vancouver
- When: Saturdays, May 30 to October 24; 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Kerrisdale Farmers’ Market
- What: The Kerrisdale Farmers’ Market lines East Boulevard every Saturday, bringing out the locals in one of Vancouver’s oldest communities. Stroll, shop, and eat at this vibrant weekend gathering.
- Where: East Boulevard (between 37th and 41st Avenues), Vancouver
- When: Saturdays, June 10 to October 13; 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
River District Farmers’ Market
- What: This market offers a unique riverfront gathering place in a burgeoning local community. Shop from vendors and artisans, and soak up some local colour.
- Where: Kerr Street Plaza, 8683 Kerr Street
- When: Saturdays, May 30 to October 10; 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Plaza of Nations Saturday Night Market
- What: The Plaza of Nations transformed into an outdoor marketplace, complete with food trucks, craft beer, and local bands
- Where: Plaza of Nations – 750 Pacific Boulevard
- When: Every Saturday, June 20 to September 12, 2015; 5 to 10 p.m.
Kitsilano Farmers’ Market
- What: The Kits market takes place Sundays in the parking lot of the Community Centre, and has a Bike Valet for shoppers on two wheels, and lots nearby for families to do.
- Where: West 10th Ave (between Larch and Balsam), Vancouver
- When: Sundays; 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.; May 10 to October 25
Mt Pleasant Farmers’ Market
- What: The Mt. Pleasant Farmers’ Market is one of the newer kids on the Vancouver Farmers’ Market’s block, but it has quickly become a focal point of the community, bringing familiar vendors and neighbourhood faces together Sundays.
- Where: 2300 Guelph Street, Mount Pleasant, Vancouver
- When: Sundays, June 14 to October 11; 10 a.m. to 2 p.m
Free Yoga at Dude Chilling Park
- What: Yoga instructor Solomon Montijo, along with ten other teachers, hosts free classes daily at 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. in Dude Chilling Park.
- Where: Dude Chilling Park – 2390 Brunswick St., Vancouver
- When: Daily; 10 a.m. and 6 p.m.