Canada Day is coming up soon and although it won’t be on a long weekend (Canada Day falls on a Thursday) I know many will still find a way to make it into a four day weekend. I know I will. This year the City of Vancouver is set to host many celebrations around town and best of all the Olympic Cauldron will be re-lit for Canada Day. Last year the area around the convention centre was buzzing with activity as locals and tourists took in the sights and sounds of Canada Day.
Here is the top 5 for the city of Vancouver and also a list for the other cities in the Lower Mainland and Fraser Valley. Over the course of the next few days I’ll talk about some of them in greater detail.
Top 5 Vancouver Canada Day Celebration Events
1. Canada Day at Canada Place, Vancouver: The largest celebration on the west coast! Spend the day walking the streets of downtown, then check out some music, and while you’re at it check the new convention centre.
2. Canada Day Fireworks at Burrard Inlet: A perfect way to cap off the evening. If you can’t make it to the symphony of fire celebrations this year, then perhaps you can check out the half hour show on Canada Day from 10:30 to 11pm
3. Canada Day at Granville Island: If you are one of those people that hate venturing into downtown, well you can take in a parade, jazz performers and much more at Granville Islands Canada Day celebration.
4. Canada Day Parade: If you only want to stick around for the parade it starts at 7pm at the corner of Georgia Street and Broughton Street.
5. Yaletown Grand Prix: Before you head on over to Coal Harbour to catch the parade and fireworks you may want to check out the annual Yaletown Grand Prix. There is also a kids race, so its great for the whole family. The festivities run from 1pm to 6pm.
Those 5 events should keep you pretty busy during Canada Day in Vancouver.
The Rest of the Lower Mainland
1. Canada Day at Cloverdale/Surrey: Surrey crafted a great celebration for the local Fraser Vallery residents. Check it out, but I must warn you, parking is a nightmare. It is afterall a suburb and isn’t meant to handle the throngs of crowds that they anticipate.
2. Steveston Salmon Festival (Canada Day): Parade, BBQ and much, much more in Richmond’s largest celebration.
3. Canada Day Celebrations in North Vancouver
4. Canada Day at the Burnaby Village Museum
5. New Westminster Canada Day
6. Langley Canada Day Celebrations
7. Port Coquitlam Celebrates Canada Day
8. Abbotsford Canada Day Celebrations
9. Delta Canada Day Celebrations
10. White Rock Canada Day events