SFU and UBC warn of campus transit disruptions as job action proceeds

Nov 1 2019, 10:02 am

After talks between Coast Mountain Bus Company and the union representing TransLink’s bus drivers and SeaBus workers broke off on Thursday and the first phase of job action began this morning, two of the region’s largest post-secondary institutions are warning students to be prepared for potential delays and changes on their commutes to the classroom.

On its website, the University of British Columbia (UBC) advises students to check their syllabus and “contact your instructor if you are concerned about potentially arriving late for classes or missing classes.

UBC also advises faculty to contact their department head, school director, or dean, regarding any potential issues, and it encourages staff to speak to their supervisor if they are concerned about arriving late, “or want to explore telecommuting.”

The school notes that the option of carpooling and carshare exists, but they warn that “there will not be enough parking space at the university to accommodate all new vehicles coming to campus in the event of strike action.”

As such, it encourages people to check parking availability in advance.

UBC said it recognizes that many of its students, faculty, and staff rely on public transit and “we appreciate a potential disruption will be challenging.”

In Burnaby, Simon Fraser University (SFU) said on Thursday that the job action could mean a reduction in bus and SeaBus service. On Twitter, the school encouraged everyone to “consider alternative transportation options in advance and to allow for extra travel time.”

It noted that for those arriving by car, “additional, free roadside parking at the campus is available as of 8 am Friday morning on University Drive East.” The parking will remain in effect over the weekend and into next week. There will also be “parking ambassadors” and a shuttle will run from the parking area to the campus.

Shortly after 9 am on Friday, SFU tweeted “there is currently no delay to bus service to the SFU Burnaby.”