The Vancouver Art Gallery is going to look very different when you walk past it in September.
Every evening from September 8 to 14, the gallery’s exterior facade will be covered with a projection of dynamic artwork.
Burrard Arts Foundation is partnering up with the Vancouver Art Gallery for the Facade Festival, an outdoor public art and cultural event featuring commissioned works by contemporary artists.
It gives the opportunity for people to enjoy art “in a communal, accessible format reminiscent of an outdoor movie screening,” according to the release.
Eleven BC contemporary artists will have their artwork showcased on the art gallery’s surface every evening. Their main area of focus includes painting, photography, film, and installation but digital media artists were emphasized for this year’s theme.
“Selected artists developed their work with special consideration to the site of the Vancouver Art Gallery, our city’s unique character, and the historic building itself,” Kate Bellringer, director and curator of Burrard Arts Foundation, said.
The artists will be paired up each evening with an encore of all of their works on Friday and Saturday. In addition, there will be an artist panel, and a special projection mapping experience by Go2 Productions on Saturday.
Here is the schedule:
- Sunday, September 8: Dana Claxton and Khan Lee
- Monday, September 9: Drew Young and Sandeep Johal
- Tuesday, September 10: Lindsay McIntyre and Howie Tsui
- Wednesday, September 11: Bracken Hanuse Corlett and Josh Hite/Justine Chambers
- Thursday, September 12: Natalie Purschwitz and Hyung-Min Yoon
- Friday, September 13: Encore of all artists’ works
- Saturday, September 14: Encore of all artists’ works, artists’ panel, and a special projection mapping experience
Make sure to stop by the art gallery to see all of these local artists’ works!
Time: 7:30 pm to midnight
When: September 8 to 14
Where: Georgia Street side of the Vancouver Art Gallery — 750 Hornby Street