We’ve teamed up with Celebrity Beauty Advisor, Derrick Rutledge, who advises celebs like Oprah and Michelle Obama and is now launching his own beauty line (OOHLifestyle), to help us come up with two perfect beauty looks for Valentine’s Day.
Look #1: Classy and Classic
The first look is all about class: deep reds, champagnes, and whites. Pair a classy red, lace dress with your beautiful pearl earrings, and champage or nude coloured stilettos.
The makeup style, recommended by Derrick, says it all: CLASSIC and CLASSY woman! And you don’t have to be Candice Swanepoel to pull it off.
- Skin: First apply your favorite foundation or tinted moisturizer to create a dewy look; top with a matching powder; use a highlighter on your cheek bones and top with red or rosy pink blush.
- Brows: Don’t forget about your brows! First Brush them out and use a matching colored shadow to fill and define.
- Eyes: Use a champagne or cream colored shadow from lash line to brow; use a gold from lash line and to the top of your lip, and line lower lash line with the same gold shadow. Use a black liquid or shadow liner across your lash line – option to extend liner for a cat-eye look – and curl & cover your lashes with black mascara.
- Lips: Don’t forget the lip liner! Lip liner is important – especially with red lips – to avoid the color from bleeding onto your skin. You can line your lips with the same or similar shade of red, and then fill in with your red lipstick. Dab your lips a couple of times with tissue to blend, and voila!
Look #2: Dramatic and Daring
The second look is dramatic; we chose black and white for base colours and red for accessories: your purse and your lips! Pair your slimming, simple black dress with your black and white stilettos, and use your red clutch for a splash of lusty colour.
This beauty look, also recommended by Derrick, says it all: dramatic and daring woman! This look focuses on pale perfection and contouring for slimming and dramatizing facial features. Use matte and shimmer-free make-up.
- Skin: First apply your favorite matte foundation and top with a matching matte powder; you’re going to use a subtle bronzer (without shine) or a darker powder for countouring. To contour, sweep the darker shade from the high parts of your cheek bones up to your hairline – without going as far as mid-forehead – and under your jaw line. The key with contouring is to avoid the center of your face, and focus on the sides. Contouring creates a slimming, dramatic, and picture-perfect look.
- Brows: For this look, you can also go more dramatic by using a pencil or darker shadow to fill your brows.
- Eyes: Apply a pale cream or white shadow from lash line to brow; in the mid-crease of your lid, apply a deep brown or grey (shimmer-free) shadow and blend with your fingertip. Use a black liquid liner across your lash line, and extend liner from corner of eye for a cat-eye look. Curl & cover your lashes with black mascara.
- Lips: Same strategy: line your lips, fill carefully with red colour, dab for blending – and voila! – you’re ready.
Follow Derrick Rutledge
Read more at LoveAlexa.ca