Since Council approved the project in principle in April 2012, Rize has been working with their architects to revise their development proposal based on direction from City Council and valuable input from the community.
A few of the design changes have been made to the existing development:
- Deletion of the 2nd floor retail and replacement with equivalent residential area.
- Undergrounding of the majority of loading/service bay operations formerly along Watson Street, leaving only one outside loading bay.
- Reduction of height of the Broadway, Kingsway and Watson buildings. This includes a 30-foot height reduction on the Broadway block.
- Addition of a pocket park at Watson
- Development of five independent and unique building characters and refinement of the building form. This includes breaking the buildings up and giving them each contracting and unique character while using influence, materials and colours from the Mount Pleasant community.
The development will be the tallest in Mount Pleasant and has been the subject of large public debate. Despite the complaints from a few residents, the project has been approved by the city. Construction date has not been set yet.