“The world’s 100 most prestigious universities, as judged by 10,000 senior academics from across the world.”
The 2015 Times Higher Education World Reputation Rankings were revealed Thursday morning, and three Canadian universities made the top 50.
University of Toronto ranked as the top Canadian university at number 16, while McGill University and University of British Columbia made numbers 36 and 37 respectively.
UofT rose from the 20th spot in the 2014 rankings, but both McGill and UBC fell a few digits. With the latest results putting McGill one spot ahead of UBC, our province’s best university can no longer claim the title of second best reputation in Canada.
This is the lowest spot UBC has ever achieved on the annual rankings which has graded the world’s top schools’ reputations since 2011. UBC did however win the World University Rankings 2014-2015 video competition earlier this year.
No other Canadian universities made the world’s top 100.
Harvard University again claimed the number one spot followed by the University of Cambridge. Eight of the top 10 schools hail from the United States.
“The 2015 rankings are based on a survey carried out between November 2014 and January 2015, which received a total of 10,507 responses from 142 countries. Some 9,794 responses were valid for the World Reputation Rankings: respondents on average had spent 15.3 years in higher education and research,” The World Reputation Rankings boasts on its website.
Their methodology for determining the best utilizes the world’s largest invitation-only academic opinion survey, targeting only experienced and published scholars within institutions around the globe.
We’ve listed the top 50 below, or see the full list here.
- Harvard University, United States
- University of Cambridge, United Kingdom
- University of Oxford, United Kingdom
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), United States
- Stanford University, United States
- University of California, Berkeley, United States
- Princeton University, United States
- Yale University, United States
- California Institute of Technology (Caltech), United States
- Columbia University, United States
- University of Chicago, United States
- The University of Tokyo, Japan
- University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), United States
- Imperial College London, United Kingdom
- ETH Zurich – Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich, Switzerland
- University of Toronto, Canada
- University College London (UCL), United Kingdom
- Johns Hopkins University, United States
- University of Michigan, United States
- Cornell University, United States
- New York University (NYU), United States
- London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE), United Kingdom
- University of Pennsylvania, United States
- National University of Singapore (NUS), Singapore
- Lomonosov Moscow State University, Russian Federation
- Tsinghua University, China
- Kyoto University, Japan
- Carnegie Mellon University, United States
- University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, United States
- King’s College London, United Kingdom
- Peking University, China
- University of Washington, United States
- Duke University, United States
- Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Germany
- McGill University, Canada
- University of British Columbia, Canada
- Heidelberg University, Germany
- University of California, San Francisco, United States
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, United States
- Humboldt University of Berlin, Germany
- University of California, San Diego, United States
- University of Melbourne, Australia
- University of California, Davis, United States
- Karolinska Institute, Sweden
- University of Texas at Austin, United States
- Northwestern University, United States
- Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne, Switzerland
- Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech), United States
- University of Manchester, United Kingdom