We already know we’re living in one of the best countries in the world, right?
We’ve just spent a year wrapping ourselves in red and white, celebrating the last 150 years of a story that actually started thousands of years earlier. We’re a proud nation, for sure: but where do we go from here? What comes next for Canada?
Find out on November 29 when the University of British Columbia welcomes Order of Canada recipients David Suzuki, Shelagh Rogers, Trevor Linden, Wade Davis, Sophie Pierre and Robert Silverman to the Chan Centre to share their thoughts about our shared future.
It’s the culmination of a day-long celebration of the 50th anniversary of the Order of Canada—the nation’s top civilian honour—that will bring together some of British Columbia’s most inspiring and influential citizens to challenge some of our most pressing societal issues.
Established in 1967, the Order of Canada is the cornerstone of the Canadian Honours System and recognizes outstanding achievement, dedication to community and service to the country.
It’s not often we get to hear in person from even one of these influential minds, so don’t miss this rare opportunity to hear from all six in one dynamic and forward-looking evening.
You’ll hear from:
- David Suzuki: Scientist, broadcaster, author, and co-founder of the David Suzuki Foundation
- Trevor Linden: NHL all-star, Vancouver Canucks President, and philanthropist
- Shelagh Rogers: Broadcast journalist, University of Victoria Chancellor, and long-standing honorary witness to the work of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada
- Sophie Pierre: Former First Nations chief and British Columbia Treaty Commission head
- Wade Davis: Explorer, anthropologist, author, and UBC professor
- Robert Silverman: Internationally acclaimed pianist and UBC professor emeritus
Popular UBC President Santa Ono will host the evening, and CBC Radio’s Duncan McCue (Cross-Country Checkup) will serve as emcee.
Tickets to this unique event are just $10 each, and include a beverage ticket and light refreshments at a post-event reception. Get yours now at ubc.ca/oc50.
When: Wednesday, November 29
Time: 7 pm
Where: Chan Shun Concert Hall at the Chan Centre for Performing Arts – 6265 Crescent Road, Vancouver
Price: $10 – Tickets available via the Chan Centre at UBC