Two Vancouver malls and five Canadian malls have cracked the top 10 list for the best malls for sales per square foot. The research was conducted by Retail Insider, a national blog focusing on all things retail.
Ryerson University’s Hilary Taylor conducted the research and produced a list of the 10 most productive malls in North America for 2013.
Both Vancouver and Toronto had two malls in the top 10 list. Vancouver’s Pacific Centre continues to be the most productive shopping centre in Canada. With the addition of Nordstrom to Pacific Centre and the lower level expansion, the sales per square foot will only increase.
1. Bal Harbour Shops, Bal Harbour, Fla.: $2,793 US/sq. ft.
2. The Forum Shops at Caesars Palace, Las Vegas: $1,750 US/sq. ft.
3. The Grove, Los Angeles: $1,400 US/sq. ft.
4. Pacific Centre, Vancouver: $1,335/sq. ft.
5. Yorkdale Shopping Centre, Toronto: $1,300/sq. ft.
6. Toronto Eaton Centre: $1,275/sq. ft.
7. Mall at Millennia, Orlando, Fla.: $1,250 US/sq. ft.
8. Oakridge Shopping Centre, Vancouver: $1,132/sq. ft.
9. The Mall at Short Hills, Short Hills, N.J., $1,110 US/sq. ft.
10. Chinook Centre, Calgary: $1,108/sq. ft.
It should be noted that sales figures for Canadian malls were in Canadian Dollars and American malls sales were measured in U.S. dollars. For the better part of 2013, the currencies were relatively even, thus researchers left the sales figures as is.