FEATURED EVENTS IN VANCOUVER
Congratulations, you made it.
The work week is over and you’re free to do as you please. Whether you’re the type to kick back and relax or have a wild night out, there’s always something to do in Vancouver.
Here are 20 things to do in Vancouver this weekend, July 16 and 17.
Saturday, July 16
- What: Novelist/activists Karim Alrawi and Monia Mazigh will respond to renowned artist Ai Weiwei’s little known Vancouver work, F-Grass, and speak about the Syrian refugee crisis, an issue Ai Weiwei has been focusing on of late.
- Where: Harbour Green Park – 1199 West Cordova Street, Vancouver
- When: July 16, at 4 pm
- What: Original bands and artists will be performing free outdoor concerts in Cates Park again this summer, so bring a picnic and spend your Saturday afternoons enjoying the immense local talent that Vancouver has to offer.
- Where: Cates Park – Deep Cove, North Vancouver
- When: Every Saturday from July 16 to August 27
- What: Get out your yoga mats and put away your wallets, free yoga is back for another year! Two sessions, twice a day, seven days a week. All abilities welcome.
- Where: Dude Chilling Park – 2390 Brunswick Street, Vancouver
- When: Now until fall; from 10 to 11:15 am and 6 to 7:15 pm
- What: Aldergrove Fair Days have been running for more than 100 years. With traditional agricultural and prize exhibits, a whole fairground full of garden displays and the World Zucchini Luge Championships, there really is something for everyone.
- Where: Aldergrove Athletic Park and the Aldergrove Kinsmen Community Centre – 26770 29 Avenue, Langley
- When: July 15 to 17
- What: Mark your calendars for July 15 to 17 at Jericho Beach in Kits, as crowds of 40,000 are expected to see 60+ international, national, and local acts. From blues to bluegrass, Celtic to banjos, Hawaiian, electro-trad, acoustic and spoken word, the legendary diversity of VFMF is sure to get Vancouverites moving to old favourites and new discoveries.
- Where: Jericho Beach Park, Vancouver
- When: July 15 to 17
- Tickets: Available.
- Where: BC Place – 777 Pacific Boulevard, Vancouver
- When: Saturday, July 16 at 7 pm
- What: Arm your brushes, the International Makeup Artist Trade Show is coming to Vancouver this weekend.
- Where: Vancouver Convention Centre West – 999 Canada Place, Vancouver
- When: Saturday, July 16 from 9 am to 5 pm & Sunday, July 17 from 10 am to 5 pm
- What: Holy Hell is playing at the Rio Theatre, a documentary about an LA area spiritual group.
- Where: The Rio Theatre – 1660 East Broadway, Vancouver
- When: Saturday, July 16 at 4:45 pm & Sunday, July 17 at 5 pm
- What: Inspired by the Nikkei National Museum’s current exhibit, Arrival: Japanese Canadian Picture Brides by Chino Otsuka, we invite local Nikkei female artists & scholars to discuss the topic of historical storytelling through their respective specialties.
- Where: Nikkei National Museum & Cultural Centre – 100 – 6688 Southoaks Crescent, Burnaby
- When: Saturday, July 16 from 2 to 3:30 pm
- What: Tina Turner and Mick Jagger Tribute Concert by international award winning artists Truly Tina (Samira) and Guy Jagger. They are so close to the real thing, you will feel transported back in time. This is Samira’s last public performance before moving to US.
- Where: Surrey Night Market – 17726 62 Avenue, Surrey
- When: Saturday, July 16 at 5 pm
Sunday, July 17
- What: Salsa dancing returns to Robson Square for the summer, offering free lessons, performances, and social dancing.
- Where: Robson Square – 800 Robson Street, Vancouver
- When: Every Sunday in July and August; lessons at 3 pm, performances at 5 pm, social dancing all afternoon
- What: Whereas other successful improv troupes in Vancouver are comprised of dozens of performers, these guys opt to keep it simple – the Sunday Service is five top-notch performers that have been nationally recognized so many times they’ve lost count (just kidding, it’s 21). They perform every Sunday at the Fox Cabaret in Mount Pleasant and never fail to bring down the house, making it a popular spot for comedians and regular folk alike to take in a night of guaranteed laughs.
- Price: $7
- Time: Sundays at 9 pm
- Address: The Fox Cabaret – 2321 Main Street, Vancouver
Popular among chefs, home cooks, and local gastronomes, farmers’ markets have become an integral part of Vancouver’s food landscape. Not only do these community events grant local farmers, growers, and bakers the opportunity to connect with urban folk but they also provide them with a space to show off their seasonal favourites. Here’s a quick list of a few – for full details check our guide to Vancouver farmers’ markets.
- Granville Island Public Market
- Trout Lake Farmers’ Market
- West End Farmers’ Market
- Kitsilano Farmers’ Market
- Yaletown Farmers’ Market
- River District Farmers’ Market
In addition to a variety of farmers’ markets, the city and surrounding areas boast a collection of night markets that showcase the city’s best food trucks, bakers, and artisans. These night markets bring together communities for entertainment, shopping, and wonderful food. Here’s a shortlist of a few – for full details check ourguide to night markets in Vancouver.
- North Vancouver’s Shipyards Night Market
- Richmond Night Market
- Panda Market (International Summer Night Market)
- Surrey Night Market
- What: As part of the “Buns Across the Border” series, the Bare Buns Run is hitting Wreck Beach this Sunday to benefit the Wreck Beach Preservation Society, whose mandate is to preserve the shores and forests of Vancouver’s famous nude beach.
- Where: Wreck Beach – Pacific Spirit Regional Park, UBC, Vancouver
- When: Sunday, July 17; registration is at 8 am, race starts at 10 am
- What: Our Bend & Brunch series returns in partnership with our friends at YYoga and Steamworks Brewing. Join us for a morning filled with great company, great food and beer in support of a great cause.
- Where: Craft Beer Market – 85 West 1st Street, Vancouver
- When: Sunday, July 17; 10 am to noon
- What: Soju Events presents another edition of Soju Sunday on July 17, bringing you the best K-Pop on Granville Street with exclusive Korean drink specials all night long, K-pop idols photo props, Vancouver K-Pop dance group Yours Truly, Seattle K-Pop DJ Justin Murta + more!
- Where: Venue – 881 Granville Street, Vancouver
- When: Sunday, July 17; 9 pm to 3 am
- What: Raise a glass of YEW’s Summer Sangria and make new friends as hands reach across the table to dig in to the generous family style meal starring Lobster and Dungeness Crab. The three-course meal kicks off with a bright and flavourful Little Gem Lettuce Salad and features garden fresh sides including Steamed New Potatoes, Grilled Asparagus, Heirloom Tomato Confit and Green Butter Beans best enjoyed with Pastry Chef Mark’s Homemade Brioche and Warm Summer Fruit Pie.
- Where: YEW Seafood + Bar – 791 West Georgia Street, Vancouver
- When: Sunday, July 17; 6 pm
- What: Vancouver TheatreSports League’s Rookie Night puts our young improvisers to the test in front of a hungry crowd. They may just be the future stars of tomorrow. This 105 minute performance of improv will showcase the talent of these new players and prepare them for the bright lights of main stage. The first half will be TheatreSports and the second half will be Off Leash open format.
- Where: The Improv Centre – 1502 Duranleau Street, Vancouver
- When: Sunday, July 17; 7:30 pm
- What: Have a beer and sketch some nude models at The Astoria.
- Where: The Astoria – 769 East Hastings Street, Vancouver
- When: Sunday, July 17; 9 to 11:30 pm