29 things to do in Vancouver this weekend
Dec 19 2017, 11:45 pm
Here are some of the top events to check out in Vancouver between June 19 and 21. For a complete list of events, check out the Vancity Buzz calendar here.
Vancouver International Jazz Festival
- What: 1,800 artists and 35 venues, featuring Buddy Guy, Erykah Badu, Pink Martini and The Roots.
- Where: Various locations. Visit the website for more information.
- When: Thursday, June 18 to Wednesday July 1
Vancouver Jazz Festival Free Outdoor Concerts
- What: Downtown Jazz Weekend has been expanded to include Thursday and Friday. It’s the perfect excuse to start the weekend off early, or enjoy some stellar live acts on your (extended) lunch break.
- Where: Vancouver Art Gallery – 750 Hornby St.
- When: Friday, June 19 to Sunday, June 21; noon to 9 p.m.
Dragon Boat Festival
- What: The RioTinto Alcan Dragon Boat Festival claims to be the biggest and best dragon boat festival in North America, attracting over 100,000 spectators and 200 boat teams from around the world.
- Where: Creekside Community Centre, Village Plaza and the waters of False Creek.
- When: June 19 to 21. For times and more details, click here.
Free Yoga at Kits Beach
- What: Free yoga classes held at Kits Beach Monday, Wednesday and Friday evenings from 7 to 8 p.m.
- Where: Kits Beach, between the swimming pool and tennis courts – Cornwall Ave. and Yew St., Vancouver
- When: Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday night until August 31, 2015; 7 to 8 p.m
Science World After Dark
- What: If you’ve ever wanted to explore Science World with your friends and without the youngsters around, here’s your chance.
- Where: TELUS World of Science – 1455 Quebec Street, Vancouver
- When: Friday, June 19; 7 p.m.
Scandinavian Midsummer Festival
- What: This annual festival celebrates the arrival of the Vikings to Canada over 1000 years ago and the longest day of the year. The festival displays Nordic Villages with shopping kiosks from Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Norway and Iceland.
- Where: 6540 Thomas St., Burnaby
- When: Friday, June 19 to Sunday, June 21
Il Mercato Italian Market
- What: The market brings together the tastes of Italy with fresh produce grown locally, in addition to delicious food prepared by Il Centro’s chef and handmade products from local artisans.
- Where: 3075 Slocan Street, East Vancouver
- When: Every third Friday of the month, May 15 to November 20, 2015; 3 to 7 p.m.
- What: Ed Sheeran plays hits live from his latest album ‘X’.
- Where: Rogers Arena – 800 Griffiths Way, Vancouver
- When: Friday, June 19; 7:30 p.m.
International Summer Night Market
- What: Each weekend over 20,000 visitors hit up this massive summertime night market in Richmond and experience the diverse array of booths, food and drink vendors, kids’ play area, and live entertainment.
- Where: 12631 Vulcan Way (behind Home Depot on Sweden Way), Richmond
- When: Friday, May 8 to September 27; Fridays and Saturdays 6 to 11 p.m. and Sundays 6 to 10 p.m.
Richmond Night Market
- What: Drawing crowds from all over Metro Vancouver, the Richmond Night Market is located within easy access of the Canada Line’s Bridgeport Station. Roam the aisles to find games, food, and all sorts of wares for sale. Late nighters take note, this is the only local night market open until midnight (Fridays and Saturdays).
- Where: 8351 River Rd. (nearby Bridgeport Station)
- When: May 15 to October 12, 2015; Fridays and Saturdays 7 p.m. to Midnight, Sundays and holiday Mondays 7 to 11 p.m.
Shipyards Night Market
- What: The Shipyards Night market features food trucks, live music, numerous vendors and a beer garden.
- Where: Shipbuilders’ Square – 138 Victory Ship Way, North Vancouver
- When: May 1 to September 25; Fridays, 5 to 10 p.m.
Surrey Night Market
- What: Surrey Night Market is an open air event for local residents to sell and consume a variety of local foods, services and goods.
- Where: Cloverdale Exhibition Grounds – 17726-62 Ave., Surrey
- When: Friday, May 29 to Sunday, September 20; Friday, Saturday and Sunday; 6 to 11 p.m.
Free Yoga at Dude Chilling Park
- What: Yoga instructor Solomon Montijo, along with ten other teachers, hosts free classes daily at 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. in Dude Chilling Park.
- Where: Dude Chilling Park – 2390 Brunswick St., Vancouver
- When: Daily at 10 a.m. and 6 p.m.
Car Free Day
- What: As part of Car Free Day, numerous normally car-heavy streets will be closed down and turned into a community party full of food, music and live performances. Festivities are in the West End, Main Street, Commercial Drive and Kitsilano.
- Where: West End, Main Street, Commercial Drive and Kitsilano.
- When: Saturday, June 20 and Sunday, June 21
National Aboriginal Day at Canada Place
- What: Canada Place will be hosting a day-long event as celebration, one day prior to National Aboriginal Day. Happening on Saturday, June 20, the event will have performances, dances and workshops to give an its participants an experience to have fun while learning about aboriginal culture and traditions.
- Where: North Point, Canada Place, Vancouver
- When: Saturday, June 20; 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Trout Lake Farmers’ Market
- What: This is the farmers’ market that started up in 1995 and became the cornerstone of the Vancouver Farmers’ Market collective of markets.
- Where: Lakewood Drive and 13th Avenue, East Vancouver
- When: Saturdays; 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.; May 9 to October 24
River District Farmers’ Market
- What: This market offers a unique riverfront gathering place in a burgeoning local community. Shop from vendors and artisans, and soak up some local colour.
- Where: Kerr Street Plaza, 8683 Kerr Street
- When: Saturdays, May 30 to October 10; 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Kerrisdale Farmers’ Market
- What: The Kerrisdale Farmers’ Market lines East Boulevard every Saturday, bringing out the locals in one of Vancouver’s oldest communities. Stroll, shop, and eat at this vibrant weekend gathering.
- Where: East Boulevard (between 37th and 41st Avenues), Vancouver
- When: Saturdays, June 10 to October 13; 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
UBC Farm markets
- What: The Centre for Sustainable Food Systems operates the UBC Farm, and three weekly farm markets (June through October) on campus, providing students, faculty, and staff the chance to engage with the community and support local farming.
- Where: UBC Farm – 3461 Ross Drive (Tuesdays & Saturdays), UBC Bookstore – 6200 University Boulevard (Wednesdays)
- When: Saturdays, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. (June 13 to October)
West End Farmers’ Market
- What: The West End’s relaxed Saturday market is a great meeting spot for locals. Grab a cup of coffee, peek at the adjacent community gardens, and take a stroll with your purchases at Nelson Park.
- Where: Comox Street (between Bute and Thurlow), Vancouver
- When: Saturdays, May 30 to October 24; 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Plaza of Nations Saturday Night Market
- What: The Plaza of Nations transformed into an outdoor marketplace, complete with food trucks, craft beer, and local bands
- Where: Plaza of Nations – 750 Pacific Boulevard
- When: Every Saturday, June 20 to September 12, 2015; 5 to 10 p.m.
FIFA Women’s World Cup: Canada vs. Switzerland
- What: Canada and Switzerland face off at BC Place for the FIFA Women’s World Cup.
- Where: BC Place – 777 Pacific Blvd., Vancouver
- When: Sunday, June 21; 4:30 p.m.
FIFA Women’s World Cup Fan Zone Experience
- What: Head to the FIFA fan zone to catch matches from the Women’s World Cup on the big screen.
- Where: Larwill Park – 688 Cambie St., Vancouver
- When: Sunday, June 21; 9:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Annual Father’s Day Catch at The Nat
- What: This Father’s Day, the Vancouver Canadians Baseball Club invites families to play catch and relive their childhood days. On Sunday, June 21 enjoy a casual outing with loved ones at historic Scotiabank Field at Nat Bailey Stadium.
- Where: Scotiabank Field at Nat Bailey Stadium – 4601 Ontario St., Vancouver
- When: Sunday, June 21; 1 to 3 p.m.
Longboard Painting for Charity
- What: Come down and paint a beautiful longboard which you can take home and mount on your wall! $25 gets you a deck and paint.Take a photo of your completed art and post it online with the hastag #landyboardpainting to win a prize!
- Where: 2096 Commercial Drive, Vancouver (part of Car Free Day)
- When: Sunday, June 21; noon to 7 p.m.
Kitsilano Farmers’ Market
- What: The Kits market takes place Sundays in the parking lot of the Community Centre, and has a Bike Valet for shoppers on two wheels, and lots nearby for families to do.
- Where: West 10th Ave (between Larch and Balsam), Vancouver
- When: Sundays; 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.; May 10 to October 25
*A note for this summer: During construction on the parking lot at the Kits Community Centre, the Kitsilano Market will temporarily relocate to Riley Park, at the southeast corner of 30th Avenue and Ontario Street. From May 10 to June 7, 2015 the market will run on the same day and time, and have all the same vendors as the Kits market.
The Great Grandview Garage Sale
- What: An enormous community-wide garage sale across the entire Grandview Woodland neighbourhood (Broadway to Burrard Inlet, Clark Dr to Nanaimo).
- Where: Grandview Woodland neighbourhood – Broadway to Burrard Inlet, Clark Dr to Nanaimo
- When: Saturday, June 20; 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Mt Pleasant Farmers’ Market
- What: The Mt. Pleasant Farmers’ Market is one of the newer kids on the Vancouver Farmers’ Market’s block, but it has quickly become a focal point of the community, bringing familiar vendors and neighbourhood faces together Sundays.
- Where: 2300 Guelph Street, Mount Pleasant, Vancouver
- When: Sundays, June 14 to October 11; 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Ride Don’t Hide for Men’s Health Week
- What: The Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA), provincially sponsored by Shoppers Drug Mart, is proud to present their signature, national Ride Don’t Hide event on June 21. This is Canada’s largest mental health fundraiser, and over 1,500 riders are expected to participate.
- Where: Swangard Stadium – 3883 Imperial St., Burnaby
- When: Sunday, June 21; 7 a.m. to 2 p.m.