FEATURED ON THE LISTED GUIDE
We’re down to the last few days of spring, so spend the season wisely! Enjoy your Tuesday with our list of seven things to do in and around Vancouver today, including Akon, a short play festival, and more.
For more things happening around town, check out our events section.
- What: Whether you’re new to the theatre world, or if you just don’t have the patience to sit through full-length shows (and we don’t blame you, with summer here), the short play festival “tests the ability to tell stories without the luxury of time.” Sort of like rapid speed dating for theatre, this year’s plays are all themed around a universal topic that never gets old: L-O-V-E.
- Where: Havana Theatre – 1212 Commercial Drive, Vancouver
- When: June 13 to 18
- Tickets: Online; Sliding Scale ($10 min)
- What: Steel Toad Brewing Company hosts a Lip Synch Battle every Tuesday night. Pick and song a lip sync for a chance to win $2000! Props and dance moves are highly encouraged.
- Where: Steel Toad Brewing Company – 147 East Pender Street, Vancouver
- When: Every Tuesday stating June 13 from 8 to 10 pm
- Cost: Free
- What: This summer, Vancouver Civic Theatres will be offering self-guided tours of the Orpheum, which also happens to be one of the most beautiful concert halls in North America. If you’re a history buff, or just want to learn more about Vancouver’s landmarks, this summer tour will allow you to wander the historic site for an hour and take all the pictures your heart desires.
- Where: Orpheum – 601 Smithe Street, Vancouver
- When: Tours will be available three times per day on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays starting on Tuesday, June 13.
- Tickets: Available online at orpheumtours.com or in-person at the Tickets Tonight booth located inside the Tourism Vancouver Visitor Centre. As the Orpheum is a working theatre, tours, availability and content may vary.
- What: An improvised soap opera set in the year 1 B.C. The great Caesar Augustus has fallen and the Roman State has plunged into civil war. A struggle for power has broken out – who will ascend to greatness? Who will dine with the Gods? Sin Peaks is there to find out.
- Where: Red Gate Revue Stage – 1601 Johnston Street, Vancouver
- When: Every Tuesday at 8 pm
- Tickets: At the door, $10
- What: Grammy award-winner and legendary performer
AKON performs live in concert. He has sold over 35 million albums worldwide and has 45 Billboard Hot 100 songs under his belt. Akon has also made a staggering 300 guest appearances for icons including Michael Jackson, Lady Gaga, Gwen Stefani, Lil Wayne, R. Kelly, and Eminem.
- Where: Harbour Event Centre – 750 Pacific Boulevard, Vancouver
- When: June 13 at 8 pm
- Tickets: Online, $35-$85
- What: Celebrate the launch of AVA Byte, an indoor smart garden that lets everyone grow the freshest ingredients at their fingertips, all year round. Expect an unforgettable night of gastronomy, technology and mixology with the finest chefs, entrepreneurs, food futurists, and influencers.
- Where: Imperial Vancouver – 319 Main Street, Vancouver
- When: June 13 from 7 to 10 pm
- Tickets: Online, $35-$45
- What: Experience the ancient practice of Kemetic Yoga with Jamaican reggae artist Jah9 and her live band, The Dub Treatment. Unroll your mat and unite through slow-tempo dub in this class with asana, song, meditation and reasoning in the modified Fortune Sound Club studio.
- Where: Fortune Sound Club – 147 East Pender Street, Vancouver
- When: June 13 at 7 pm
- Tickets: Online, $10-$60