OK it’s Wednesday and it’s Hump Day. But all being as forecast that should mean it’s another glorious, sunny winter’s day in Vancouver.
Maybe you finally called in sick to head up the mountains, or maybe you’re huddling up somewhere warm – either way, you’ll need something to do tonight.
So here are 5 things to do in Vancouver this Wednesday, from a Canadian stuntman to backyard chickens.
For more things happening around town, check out our events section.
- What: In 1976, Canadian stuntman Ken Carter pointed a rocket car south, over the St Lawrence Seaway, aiming to land on a bed of roses in the US. Thirty years later, musician Mark Haney celebrated this grand folly on a concept album for solo double bass. Now filmmaker John Bolton is honouring both of them, with this gonzo musical docudrama, in a splendid, defiant ode to art, arcana, and the spirit of adventure.
- Where: VIFF Vancity Theatre – 1181 Seymour St, Vancouver
- When: Wednesday, December 7, at 6:30; also screening on Thursday, December 8 at 8:45 pm
- Tickets: On VIFF, $12 for adults or $10 for students
- What: Professionals, local talent and performers with special needs share the stage at the 11th annual Mingle of the Jingles holiday variety show and silent auction.
- Where: Kay Meek Centre – 1700 Mathers Avenue, West Vancouver
- When: Wednesday, December 7, from 7 to 9 pm
- Tickets: $20 online
- What: You’d be hard pressed to find another singer who’s ever worked as hard as American soul/R&B legend Lee Fields, who’s been making soul and funk anthems since 1969. Now he’s on tour to support his latest release, Special Night.
- Where: The Imperial – 319 Main St, Vancouver
- When: Wednesday, December 7, doors at 8 pm, show at 9 pm
- Tickets: At Red Cat Main St, Red Cat Hastings St, Zulu, and Highlife record stores.
- What: Considering getting backyard chickens? trying to convince your loved one to embark on this new hobby? At this workshop, you’ll learn the basics, including Vancouver’s four-hen bylaw, coop construction/setup, and chicken health.
- Where: Homestead Junction – 649 E Hastings St, Vancouver
- When: Wednesday, December 7, from 6:30 to 8:30 pm
- Tickets: Available online, $25