FEATURED EVENTS IN VANCOUVER
It’s Monday. It feels like it will never stop raining. Surely the week could get off to a better start than this? Don’t worry, we’ve got your back.
Here are 5 things to do in Vancouver this Monday, from the sounds of the Strumbellas to the tastes of China.
For more things happening around town, check out our events section.
- What: The Juno-award winning, Canadian folk popgrass band is back by popular demand, touring their third album, Hope. With special guests The Zolas.
- Where: Commodore Ballroom – 868 Granville Street, Vancouver
- When: Monday, October 17, doors at 7 pm, show at 8 pm
- Tickets: On Ticketmaster, $29.50
- What: The Vancouver Writers Fest kicks off on Monday, bringing together more than 100 authors and their readers to share thoughts, explore ideas and have fascinating conversations about the writing process and their inspiration.
- Where: Various locations on Granville Island, Vancouver
- When: Monday, October 17 to Sunday, October 23, various times
- Tickets: On writersfest.bc.ca, various prices
- What: Come hear four-time Olympic sailor and Vancouver local Nikola Girke share her story and sailing race tips and strategies, at this event hosted by UBC Sailing Club.
- Where: Jericho Sailing Centre Association – 1300 Discovery Street, Vancouver
- When: Monday, October 17, from 7 to 9 pm
- Register: On Eventbrite, totally free
- What: Freighters are seemingly innocuous fixtures in Vancouver’s waters, but the inner workings of the industry remain shrouded in secrecy. This doc takes a look at our oceans and harbours, and what the behemoths that ply our seas are doing to them.
- Where: VIFF Vancity Theatre – 1181 Seymour St, Vancouver
- When: Monday, October 17, at 6:30 pm
- Tickets: On VIFF, $15 for adults or $13 for students
- What: An exclusive six-course dinner at Torafuku in honour of the launch of China: The Cookbook, including a variety of Chinese dishes, and the chance to meet bestselling cookbook authors Kei Lum Chan and Diora Fong Chan.
- Where: Torafuku – 958 Main St, Vancouver
- When: Monday, October 17, from 6 to 8 pm
- Tickets: On Eventbrite, $65 – $105