FEATURED EVENTS IN YOUR CITY
It’s Monday and the world seems like a worrying place, we know. But as ever we’re here to get you through, so here goes.
Here are 5 things to do in Vancouver this Monday, from a gallery of laughs to an animation show of shows.
For more things happening around town, check out our events section.
- What: Vancouver comedian Graham Clark hosts one of the longest-running shows in town. The best part of the show may very well be the oddball audience prizes that Clark himself finds at flea markets and garage sales around the city.
- Where: Havana Theatre – 1212 Commercial Drive, Vancouver
- When: Monday, November 14, at 9 pm
- Tickets: On Eventbrite, priced $5
- What: This quietly powerful observational documentary chronicles life on the Italian island of Lampedusa, the focal point for Europe’s ongoing refugee crisis, without commentary. Winner of the Golden Bear at the Berlin International Film Festival.
- Where: VIFF Vancty Theatre – 1181 Seymour St, Vancouver
- When: Monday, November 14, at 8:30 pm; also showing on Thursday, November 17
- Tickets: At VIFF, $12 adults, $10 students
- What: Join Vancouver bassist Jen Hodge for a special show celebrating her birthday. Expect hard swinging grooves, boisterous New Orleans style horns, cheeky lyrics, clever arrangements, and plenty of spontaneous fun.
- Where: The Yale Saloon – 1300 Granville St, Vancouver,
- When: Monday, November 14, doors open at 8:15 pm, jazz starts at 9 pm
- Tickets: $12 on the door
- What: A book launch and talk by author Yves Engler, whose latest work looks at the government PR machine, to reveal why most Canadians believe their country is a force for good, despite a long history of supporting empire, racism and exploitation.
- Where: Room 1415, SFU Harbour Centre – 555 W Hastings St, Vancouver
- When: Monday, November 14, from 6 to 8 pm
- What: A bumper screening of 12 charming family-friendly films, including Disney Pixar’s sweet Piper, and the latest in 360º storytelling in Google’s touching father-and daughter-journey Pearl by Academy Award® winner Patrick Osborne.
- Where: The RioTheatre – 1660 E Broadway, Vancouver
- When: Monday, November 14, doors at 6 pm, show at 6:30 pm
- Tickets: From the Rio, $13 in advance, $15 on the door