7 things to do in Vancouver today: Monday, April 10
Apr 10 2017, 2:52 am
FEATURED ON THE LISTED GUIDE
Who knew that Mondays could be so fun? Kick off your week with our list of seven things to do today, from live music to blooming tulips and so much more.
For more things happening around town, check out our events section.
Abbotsford Bloom Tulip Festival
- What: The Abbotsford Tulip Festival features 10 acres of tulips blooming in a brilliant display of colour! With over 35 varieties on display, the Festival is here to celebrate the start of spring and to promote agriculture in the Fraser Valley.
- Where: 6737 North Parallel Road, Abbotsford
- When: April 10 to May 7
- Tickets: Online, $5-$30
- What: Over the past five years, twin brothers Joel and Benji Madden have been relatively quiet when it came to their multi-platinum selling band Good Charlotte. In 2015, the timing finally felt right to breathe new life into the band. They called up bassist Paul Thomas, guitarist/keyboardist Billy Martin, and drummer Dean Butterworth to get the band back together. Good Charlotte is touring in support of their latest album, Youth Authority.
- Where: Commodore Ballroom – 868 Granville Street, Vancouver
- When: April 10 at 7 pm
- Tickets: Online, $46.50
The End of Progress
- What: Amy Allen, Liberal Arts Research Professor of Philosophy and Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies at Penn State University, discusses the concept of progress and how it occupies a complicated position in the landscape of contemporary critical theory.
- Where: Institute for the Humanities at Simon Fraser University – 515 West Hastings Street, Vancouver
- When: April 10 from 6 to 8 pm
- Admission: Free
- What: Company of Strangers, Randi-Lee Browne, Naomi Dorras-Donnelly, Lajla Jean and Wendy “Yau Sum” Cheung will each perform a 20-minute set of their own material. The artists will be displaying a variety of styles mixing folk, pop, indie and rock
- Where: Fairview Pub – 898 West Broadway, Vancouver
- When: April 10 at 7:30 pm
- Admission: Free
Stilt Building & Walking Workshop
- What: In this interactive, hands-on workshop, you will have the opportunity to build and walk in your own stilts. The workshop covers two dates in which you will custom build and design your own stilts (students must provide their own shoes to be permanently secured to the stilts) and will include a combination of movement, safety and assembly. You will also then learn how to walk in the stilts that you create.
- Where: Vancouver Circus School – #212 810 Quayside Drive, New Westminster
- When: April 10 and 24 from 6 to 9 pm
- Register: Email [email protected]
Vancouver Positive Birth Movement
- What: Free monthly meet ups in Vancouver for pregnant women to come together and share experiences, thoughts, feelings and insight about childbirth. There is usually a theme for discussion, such as “Place of Birth”, “Birth Plans”, or “Hopes and Fears”. Each session will usually start with some introductions from the facilitators, but after that, it’s over to the group to talk and share and learn from each other.
- Where: Blue Moon Birth – 151 West 1st Avenue, Vancouver
- When: April 10 from 8 to 9:30 pm
- Admission: Free
Dutch Business Club Movie and Wine Tasting Event
- What: The Dutch Business Club is holding their annual Movie and Wine Tasting night at Dudoc. This year’s Dutch movie will be “De Helleveeg” (The Fury), a film by Andre van Duren. Before the film there will be an opportunity to taste wine with Heleen Pannekoek the owner of Fort Berens Winery in Lillooet.
- Where: Dudoc Vancouver – #100 1445 West Georgia, Vancouver
- When: April 10 from 5:30 to 9 pm
- Tickets: Online, $20