TGIF! It’s the end of the week and it’s officially time to let loose.
From the Rio Grind Film Festival to exploring design at the Museum of Vancouver, here are five Friday events that will kick off your weekend the right way.
For more things happening around town, check out our events section.
- What: The Rio Grind Film Festival kicks off on Friday, bringing an assortment of new and award-winning indie, cult, sci-fi and horror shorts, features, and documentaries to Vancouver for your dark, dark pleasure – including new black comedy Prevenge.
- Where: The Rio Theatre – 1660 East Broadway, Vancouver
- When: From Friday, November 4, to Sunday, November 6; various showtimes
- Tickets: From the Rio, three-day pass is $60, one-day passes range from $25-$40, single movie tickets $10 in advance, $12 on the door
- What: A workshop presentation of a new Canadian trilingual musical telling the story of a young Mohawk girl and her brother, whose lives are disrupted when a young fille du roi arrives in New France to boost the population of what would become Canada.
- Where: Orpheum Annex – 823 Seymour Street, Vancouver
- When: Friday, November 4, and Saturday, November 5, at 7 pm
- Register: On Facebook, totally free
- What: An evening of Cuban Jazz showcasing world-class musicians, including one of the most influential figures in modern Afro-Cuban jazz – the exceptional saxophonist, composer, arranger and Grammy award winner, Alfred Thompson.
- Where: Vancouver Playhouse – 600 Hamilton St, Vancouver
- When: Friday, November 4, at 8 pm
- Tickets: On Brown Paper Tickets, $40
- What: This annual festival showcases the art of the music video and the creativity of the filmmakers involved in producing them. Render’s focus is on innovative and cutting-edge music videos that push the creative boundaries of the art form.
- Where: VIFF Vancity Theatre – 1181 Seymour St, Vancouver
- When: Friday, November 4, reception from 6.30 pm, screenings from 8 pm
- Tickets: On VIFF, $12 adult, $10 student
- What: Designers talk about what they do and why they’re doing it in Vancouver. Discover the stories behind the development of everyday technologies and cool things you’ve never seen before.
- Where: Museum of Vancouver – 1100 Chestnut St., Vancouver
- When: Friday, November 4, from 7 to 11 pm
- Tickets: On MOV and available the door, $15-$23