27 things to do in Vancouver this long weekend
Sep 3 2016, 1:32 am
FEATURED ON THE LISTED GUIDE
The long weekend is here, and you’re probably wondering what to do. We’ve got you covered.
Here are 27 things to do in Vancouver this long weekend, Saturday, September 3, to Monday, September 5.
Saturday, September 3
- What: TaiwanFest returns to Vancouver this September. Taking place over three consecutive days, this celebration of Taiwanese culture features live performances, folk music, workshops, a delicious street buffet (which should not be missed), Chinese medicine, and much more.
- When: Saturday, September 3 through to Monday, September 5
- Where: Multiple locations (please check website)
- Price: Admission is free
Aritzia Warehouse Sale 2016
- What: The Aritzia Warehouse Sale is returning to Vancouver until Monday, September 5 at the Convention Centre. As usual, there will be a constant rotation of new stock coming in daily with major price cuts of 50% to 90% off the original retail cost.
- Where: Vancouver Convention Centre West – 999 Canada Place, Vancouver
- When: Thursday, September 1 to Monday, September 5; 7 am to 9 pm Thursday through Saturday, and 9 am to 7 pm on Sunday and Monday.
Vancouver Façade Fest 2016
- What: Façade Festival is back for another year to transform the Robson Street side of the Vancouver Art Gallery into a piece of projection mapping art with the help of five local artists.
- Where: Vancouver Art Gallery – 750 Hornby Street, Vancouver (Robson side)
- When: To Monday, September 5; façades light up at sundown.
2016 Vancouver International Tap Dance Festival
- What: Hosted by the Vancouver Tap Society, the four-day event will feature appearances and workshops taught by world-renowned dancers such as Dormeshia Sumbry-Edwards, Ted Levy, and Jason Samuels Smith.
- When: September 1-4, 2016
- Where: Various locations around Vancouver
- Tickets and registration: www.vantapdance.com
View some strange collections at the Museum of Vancouver
- What: Corsets, vintage prosthetic limbs, pinball machines – these are just a few of the wacky collections curated by Vancouverites on display at the Museum of Vancouver. All of the collections have an interactive component.
- Where: Museum of Vancouver – 1100 Chestnut Street, Vancouver
- When: On display from June 23, 2016 to January 8, 2017
Bose Farms Corn Maze 2016
- What: A Surrey farm has decided to celebrate Rugby Canada through a giant corn maze. An aerial shot shows the Rugby Canada logo in full – the silhouette of a rugby player against a Canadian maple leaf – along with a beaver holding a rugby.
- Where: Bose and Sons Family Farms – 64th Avenue and 156th Street, Surrey
- When: Open through September.
- Cost: Adults are $7, kids are $5, families of four are $22.
- What: An exhibition of watercolour drawings by Mark Hall-Patch, exploring anarchistic art movements, depictions of alienation, and grave existential danger. The delicate nature of the works make stunning representations of failed utopian societies.
- Where: grunt gallery – #116 – 350 East 2 Avenue, Vancouver
- When: From Tuesday to Saturday, noon to 5 pm, closed Monday and Sunday
Open Art Studios
- What: 100 Braid St Studios is throwing open its doors to visitors as part of the monthly Open Art Studios, allowing guests to visit their studio in a former winery and check out their artists’ working studios, ask questions, and learn about techniques.
- Where: 100 Braid St Studios – 200-100 Braid St, New Westminster
- When: September 3, noon to 5 pm
- Register: On Eventbrite, totally free
Heirloom Tomato Fest
- What: A farm fresh foodie festival! Enjoy more than 20 heirloom tomato varieties, a chef cooking demo, tomato tastings, live music, cob oven pizza, a tomato fermentation workshop, market vendors, a certified organic farm store, garden and farm tour.
- Where: Earthwise Society Demonstration Garden and Farm – 6400 3 Ave, Delta
- When: Saturday, September 3, from 10 am to 3 pm
- Register: On Eventbrite, totally free
Qi Gong in Kits
- What: Join this free Qi Gong, gentle flowing movement class with Hing Tse, who will show you how to move your body for greater flexibility, balance and well-being. Wear loose, comfortable clothing and flat shoes. All levels welcome.
- Where: Vital Health Medical Clinic Kitsilano – 1855 West 4th Avenue, Vancouver
- When: Every Saturday, from 9 to 10 am
- Register: On Eventbrite, first class free, ongoing classes by donation
Rennie Collection at Wing Sang
- What: Visit one of the largest collections of contemporary art in Canada in one of Vancouver’s most treasured heritage sites, which also has a schoolroom and rooftop garden. Owner Bob Rennie has spent more than $10 million to restore the building.
- Where: Wing Sang Building – 51 East Pender Street, Vancouver
- When: Various dates throughout September
- Book: renniecollection.org
Sunday, September 4
- What: Britannia Community Services Centre is hosting an outdoor, visual arts market, featuring the work of local artists, live music, artist workshops and demonstrations, and more.
- Where: Napier Greenway – Napier Street and Commercial Drive, Vancouver
- When: September 4, noon to 5 pm
Richmond Cuddle Party
- What: Everyone is welcome at the Richmond Cuddle Party. All genders will be participating, and the gender ratio varies – women cuddle with men, women with women, men with men, and often in clusters of four or more.
- Where: Exact address will be emailed with confirmation of your attendance
- When: Sunday, September 4; 2 to 5 pm
MIRAGE art installation at Metropolis at Metrotown
- What: The virtual experience coined MIRAGE is an art installation that offers a two minute walk through experience for customers. It uses digital, audio, and state of the art projection technology with a mirrored ceiling to help visitors create lasting memories. This Sunday is your last chance to check it out on a weekend.
- Where: Metropolis at Metrotown – Grand Court, Lower Level
- When: Running until September 5
- Price: Free
Watch The Book of Mormon
- What: This hilarious Broadway musical from the creators of South Park returns to Vancouver for another run this summer.
- Where: Queen Elizabeth Theatre – 650 Hamilton Street, Vancouver
- When: August 24 to September 4
- Tickets: On sale on June 20. Visit ticketmaster.ca for more information.
The Sunday Service
- What: Whereas other successful improv troupes in Vancouver are comprised of dozens of performers, these guys opt to keep it simple – the Sunday Service is five top-notch performers that have been nationally recognized so many times they’ve lost count (just kidding, it’s 21). They perform every Sunday at the Fox Cabaret in Mount Pleasant and never fail to bring down the house, making it a popular spot for comedians and regular folk alike to take in a night of guaranteed laughs.
- Price: $7
- Time: Sundays at 9 pm
- Address: The Fox Cabaret – 2321 Main Street
Sunday Seafood Boils at Boulevard Kitchen
- What: Boulevard Kitchen & Oyster Bar has extended their popular Sunday Seafood Boil Series into September. Taking place on the restaurant’s streetside patio, Boulevard’s talented chefs will serve up a fresh-caught bounty of jumbo prawns, clams, mussels, crawfish, and Dungeness crab with all the fixings for a series of classic, East Coast-inspired seafood boils served family-style on communal tables.
- When: Every Sunday of September (4, 11, 18, and 25) from 6:30 pm
- Where: Boulevard Kitchen & Oyster Bar – 845 Burrard Street, Vancouver
- Price: $59 per person with a two-guest minimum (beverages, tax, and gratuity not included); tickets available online
Hershe Bar – Where the Girls Are
- What: DJ Saratonin will spin tunes at Flygirl Production’s Hershe Bar party. She’s opened for Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Iggy Azalea, Sia, Tegan & Sara and more. Despite it being an event for gay women, everyone is welcome.
- Where: Red Room Ultra Bar – 398 Richards Street, Vancouver
- When: Sunday, September 4; 10 pm to 2 am
- Tickets: Start at $12. Click here to purchase.
- What: Every week, the Streefight Improv team gets 10 of the funniest improvisors in town who compete back and forth to vie for your laughter.
- Where: Havana Theatre – 1212 Commercial Drive, Vancouver
- When: Sunday, September 4; 7:30 pm
Science World’s Top Secret exhibit
- What: Open until September 5, Top Secret immerses people in a challenging pursuit to find the world’s most advanced computer chip. Created in Australia, the exhibit greets you with pictures of six suspects.
- When: Open until September 5
- Where: Science World
- Price: Prices vary, buy tickets online
Monday, September 5
The Laugh Gallery
- What: Vancouver comedian Graham Clark (of CBC’s The Debaters fame) hosts one of the longest-running shows in town at The Havana Theatre. How long-running? BeforeThe Hangover, Zach Galifianakis did weekly sets here. Aside from big names and legendary Vancouver acts like Charlie Demers, the best part of the show may very well be the oddball audience prizes that Clark himself finds at flea markets and garage sales around the city.
- Price: $5
- Time: Mondays at 9 pm
- Address: 1212 Commercial Drive
Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge
- What: The Lynn Canyon Suspension bridge is one of Lynn Valley’s best kept secrets. The 50-metre high bridge stretches across a beautiful canyon boasting raging waters, waterfalls and deep pools below. And the best part is – it’s free of charge for all to see.
- Where: 3993 Peters Road, North Vancouver
- When: Open daily in September, from 10 am to 5 pm
Engine 374 Pavilion
- What: In 1887, the CPR Engine 374 arrived as the first transcontinental train into the city. Now Vancouver’s historic steam locomotive can be viewed fully restored for free.
- Where: Roundhouse Community Centre – 181 Roundhouse Mews, Vancouver
- When: Monday to Friday, 9 am to 10 pm, Saturday and Sunday, from 9 am to 5 pm
Vancouver TheatreSports League
- What: Situated on beautiful Granville Island, this is the most popular place for improv in Vancouver. Keep in mind that improv is, well, improvised – shows can be a little hit or miss, but they’re always good for some laughs. Choice shows include Throne and Games – A Chance of Snow, a Game of Thrones-inspired improv show; The Big Picture, a stew of “all your favourite movies in one hilarious mashup” and Firecracker!, an all-ladies performance of some of the best female improvisers in Canada.
- Price: $8 to $22
- Time: Varies
- Address: 1502 Duranleau Street, Granville Island
7th Annual Pitch n Putt Charity Event
- What: Another amazing year of fun, games, drinks, golf, and music, to support the Big Brother of Greater Vancouver.
- Where: Queen Elizabeth Park – West 33rd and Cambie Street, Vancouver
- When: Monday, September 5; 10:30 am
- Tickets: $50. Click here to purchase.
You Be Sea Music Festival
- What: For one night, fill that festival shaped hole in your heart with enough uninhibited musical euphoria to last you well past midterms. Staged on the rooftop garden of the AMS Nest, and set to the soundtrack of more than seven incredible local artists, You Be Sea is a festival dedicated to groovy music, free love, and philanthropy.
- Where: The AMS Nest Rooftop Garden – 6133 University Boulevard, Vancouver
- When: Monday, September 5; 6 pm to midnight
- Tickets: $10. Click here to purchase.
Laugh Gallery with Graham Clark
- What: This Monday come to the Havana to watch some of the best and brightest comics in the city. Graham Clark hosts this wonderfully eclectic show where you get to laugh at jokes and you might win a great prize.
- Where: Havana Theatre – 1212 Commercial Drive, Vancouver
- When: Monday, September 5; 9 to 10 pm