28 things to do in Vancouver this weekend
Dec 20 2017, 12:58 am
Here are some of the top events to check out in Vancouver between August 21 and 23. For a complete list of events, check out our Vancouver Events Calendar.
Odlum Brown Vancouver Open
- What: Watch some of the best tennis players face off for the annual Vancouver Open, including No. 8 female in the world, Francesca Schiavone and former World No. 8 Janko Tipsarevic. The best will be competing for $200,000 in cash.
- Where: Hollyburn Country Club – 950 Crosscreek Road, West Vancouver
- When: Saturday, August 15 to Sunday, August 23; various times
An Evening With David Duchovny
- What: Actor/director/writer and singer-songwriter David Duchovny is set to perform two shows at Alexander Gastown. He’s currently on tour to promote his debut album “Hell or High Water.”
- Where: Alexander Gastown – 91 Powell Street, Vancouver
- When: Friday, August 21 and Saturday August 22; doors open at 7 p.m.
Colin Mochrie and Friends
- What: Whose Line Is It Anyway? star and Canadian comedy icon Colin Mochrie is coming to the Granville Theatre Sports League for two nights of improv comedy in one of the places he started his career.
- Where: 1502 Duranleau Street, Vancouver
- When: Friday, August 21; 7:30 and 10 p.m.
Firefighters Rundown at Sundown
- What: A one lap, relay-style race featuring teams of Firefighters, media, and corporate teams from across Metro Vancouver. The event supports a huge number of charities, and is generally just a good time all around.
- Where: Hastings Racecourse – 188 N Renfrew Street, Vancouver
- When: Friday, August 21; 8 to 9 p.m.
- What: We’re halfway through a two-week event, featuring 10 of Vancouver’s best cocktail bars. Learn about the history, myths, and facts about one of the oldest liquors in the world, while sampling mouth-watering and mind-numbing cocktails from some of the best mixologists in the city. It all caps off with the Grand Palooza on August 26, so keep an eye out for more details.
- Where: Various venues
- When: Friday; August 21 to Wednesday, August 26
Commercial Drive Street Party Part 2
- What: Free hot dogs, drinks at the BBQ potluck. Go spend your Friday night dancing in the moonlight to local bands and see why 10,000 people attended earlier this year.
- Where: Grandview Park –1657 Charles street
- When: Friday, August 21; 8 p.m.
Columbia Street Food Truck Festival
- What: Presented by the New Westminster Business Improvement Association, the Columbia Street Food Truck Festival now the biggest one day food truck festival in Canada, with over 70 trucks.
- Where: Columbia Street, New Westminster
- When: Saturday, August 22; 4 to 10 p.m.
Slide the City North Vancouver
- What: Slide down a four-city-block length of Lonsdale Avenue beginning at Keith Road and ending at 3rd Street with a long splash pool stretch to stop.
- Where: Lonsdale Avenue and Keith Road, North Vancouver
- When: Saturday, August 22; 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
The Fair at the PNE
- What: The annual Fair at the PNE kicks off on Saturday with memorable old and new attractions, including over 50 rides, the Beatles Memorabilia Exhibition, Broadway’s Peter Pan, delicious food and drinks, concerts and many more. Take in a Vancouver tradition.
- Where: Pacific National Exhibition – 2901 East Hastings Street, Vancouver
- When: Saturday, August 22 to Monday September 7 (closed August 24 & 31); 11 a.m. till late.
PNE Summer Concerts
- What: This year’s Summer Night Concerts feature an exciting array of artists that are sure to please fans of all genres. Pop stars, Country favorites, R&B icons, and Rock ‘N’ Roll legends, will all be showcased at the 2015 PNE Concert series.
- Where: PNE Amphitheater inside the PNE Fair grounds, Vancouver
- When: Nightly between August 23 and September 7
Steveston Dragon Boat Festival
- What: Visit the Steveston Dragon Boat Festival for a fabulous sunny day of fun. Enjoy entertainment on the World Beat Stage, kid’s arts and crafts, great vendors, food, and of course, exciting dragon boat races. Cheer your favourite team on to victory!
- Where: Britannia Heritage Shipyard (at Westwater Drive and Railway Avenue) to Imperial Landing – 5180 Westwater Drive, Steveston Village, Richmond
- When: Saturday, August 22; 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- What: Come experience one of Vancouver’s best outdoor yoga events featuring some of Vancouver’s finest yoga teachers and studios, live music, and great giveaways from local businesses and sponsors. Yogathon takes place in over 40 cities worldwide, with all proceeds going directly to Care for Children.
- Where: 1055 Canada Place, Vancouver
- When: Saturday, August 22; 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Cates Park Concert Series
- What: Visit Cates Park in North Vancouver and spend a beautiful summer day enjoying some of the finest entertainers North Van has to offer. Featuring performances from local bands and headliners, the free concert series will run Saturdays from 2 to 5 p.m. untilAugust 29.
- Where: Cates Park – 4141 Dollarton Highway, North Vancouver
- When: Saturdays in August; 2 to 5 p.m.
Go Topless Day Vancouver 2015
- What: Ladies, take advantage of the one day when your bosoms can bounce freely down the streets of Vancouver.
- Where: Robson from Denman to Hornby, Vancouver
- When: Sunday, August 23; 1 to 3 p.m.
- What: West Coast’s largest outdoor pet festival, PET-A-PALOOZA is back. With events including: “Running of the bulls” hilarious 20 feet French and English bull dog races, cool down stations, photo lounges and up to 50 of the leading pet related exhibitors. Last year over 12,000 people and 10,000 dogs attended the free event.
- Where: 1100 Mainland Street, Vancouver
- When: Sunday, August 23; 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
PNE 5K Donut Dash
- What: The inaugural PNE Donut Dash 5km is Vancouver’s tastiest 5km run where runners will be re-energized with tasty treats throughout the course, including mini donuts, cotton candy and more.
- Where: Empire Fields and PNE Fairgrounds
- When: Sunday, August 23; 9 a.m.
International Summer Night Market
- What: Each weekend over 20,000 visitors hit up this massive summertime night market in Richmond and experience the diverse array of booths, food and drink vendors, kids’ play area, and live entertainment.
- Where: 12631 Vulcan Way (behind Home Depot on Sweden Way), Richmond
- When: Friday, May 8 to September 27; Fridays and Saturdays 6 to 11 p.m. and Sundays 6 to 10 p.m.
Richmond Night Market
- What: Drawing crowds from all over Metro Vancouver, the Richmond Night Market is located within easy access of the Canada Line’s Bridgeport Station. Roam the aisles to find games, food, and all sorts of wares for sale. Late nighters take note, this is the only local night market open until midnight (Fridays and Saturdays).
- Where: 8351 River Rd. (nearby Bridgeport Station)
- When: May 15 to October 12, 2015; Fridays and Saturdays 7 p.m. to Midnight, Sundays and holiday Mondays 7 to 11 p.m.
Shipyards Night Market
- What: The Shipyards Night market features food trucks, live music, numerous vendors and a beer garden.
- Where: Shipbuilders’ Square – 138 Victory Ship Way, North Vancouver
- When: May 1 to September 25; Fridays, 5 to 10 p.m.
Surrey Night Market
- What: Surrey Night Market is an open air event for local residents to sell and consume a variety of local foods, services and goods.
- Where: Cloverdale Exhibition Grounds – 17726-62 Ave., Surrey
- When: Friday, May 29 to Sunday, September 20; Friday, Saturday and Sunday; 6 to 11 p.m.
Trout Lake Farmers’ Market
- What: This is the farmers’ market that started up in 1995 and became the cornerstone of the Vancouver Farmers’ Market collective of markets.
- Where: Lakewood Drive and 13th Avenue, East Vancouver
- When: Saturdays; 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.; May 9 to October 24
West End Farmers’ Market
- What: The West End’s relaxed Saturday market is a great meeting spot for locals. Grab a cup of coffee, peek at the adjacent community gardens, and take a stroll with your purchases at Nelson Park.
- Where: Comox Street (between Bute and Thurlow), Vancouver
- When: Saturdays, May 30 to October 24; 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Kerrisdale Farmers’ Market
- What: The Kerrisdale Farmers’ Market lines East Boulevard every Saturday, bringing out the locals in one of Vancouver’s oldest communities. Stroll, shop, and eat at this vibrant weekend gathering.
- Where: East Boulevard (between 37th and 41st Avenues), Vancouver
- When: Saturdays, June 10 to October 13; 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
River District Farmers’ Market
- What: This market offers a unique riverfront gathering place in a burgeoning local community. Shop from vendors and artisans, and soak up some local colour.
- Where: Kerr Street Plaza, 8683 Kerr Street
- When: Saturdays, May 30 to October 10; 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Plaza of Nations Saturday Night Market
- What: The Plaza of Nations transformed into an outdoor marketplace, complete with food trucks, craft beer, and local bands
- Where: Plaza of Nations – 750 Pacific Boulevard
- When: Every Saturday, June 20 to September 12, 2015; 5 to 10 p.m.
Kitsilano Farmers’ Market
- What: The Kits market takes place Sundays in the parking lot of the Community Centre, and has a Bike Valet for shoppers on two wheels, and lots nearby for families to do.
- Where: West 10th Ave (between Larch and Balsam), Vancouver
- When: Sundays; 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.; May 10 to October 25
Mt Pleasant Farmers’ Market
- What: The Mt. Pleasant Farmers’ Market is one of the newer kids on the Vancouver Farmers’ Market’s block, but it has quickly become a focal point of the community, bringing familiar vendors and neighbourhood faces together Sundays.
- Where: 2300 Guelph Street, Mount Pleasant, Vancouver
- When: Sundays, June 14 to October 11; 10 a.m. to 2 p.m
Free Yoga at Dude Chilling Park
- What: Yoga instructor Solomon Montijo, along with ten other teachers, hosts free classes daily at 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. in Dude Chilling Park.
- Where: Dude Chilling Park – 2390 Brunswick St., Vancouver
- When: Daily; 10 a.m. and 6 p.m.