FEATURED EVENTS IN VANCOUVER
A new week is here! Albeit one forecast to be rain, rain, rain. You never know, maybe all that rain won’t materialize – this weekend was better than predicted.
The weather may be crazy, but there’s still tons going on in the city. Here are 20 things to do in Vancouver this week, from Kanye West to the Eastside Flea.
Monday, October 17
- What: Kanye West’s Saint Pablo Tour show in Vancouver has nearly sold out – no surprise given that fans with floor tickets will be able to dance underneath him as the stage floats above them. Grab the last tickets while you can.
- Where: Rogers Arena – 800 Griffiths Way, Vancouver
- When: Monday, October 17, doors at 7 pm, show at 8 pm
- Tickets: On Ticketmaster, $70-$250
- What: The Vancouver Writers Fest kicks off on Monday, bringing together more than 100 authors and their readers to share thoughts, explore ideas and have fascinating conversations about the writing process and their inspiration.
- Where: Various locations on Granville Island, Vancouver
- When: Monday, October 17 to Sunday, October 23, various times
- Tickets: On writersfest.bc.ca, various prices
- What: The City of Vancouver is developing a tax to try to reduce the number of empty homes in the city, and hopefully open up more places to rent – now it’s your chance to tell the City what you think. Drop in at the open house to share your thoughts.
- Where: Oakridge Auditorium at Oakridge Mall – 650 West 41st Avenue, Vancouver
- When: Monday, October 17, from 4 to 8 pm
- What: Come hear four-time Olympic sailor and Vancouver local Nikola Girke share her story and sailing race tips and strategies, at this event hosted by UBC Sailing Club.
- Where: Jericho Sailing Centre Association – 1300 Discovery Street, Vancouver
- When: Monday, October 17, from 7 to 9 pm
- Register: On Eventbrite, totally free
Tuesday, October 18
- What: Singer songwriter Norah Jones has sold 50 million albums, and collected nine Grammys. Her latest album Day Breaks is described as a “kindred spirit” to her stunning debut album Come Away With Me.
Where: Queen Elizabeth Theatre – 650 Hamilton St, Vancouver
- When: Tuesday, October 18 at 7:30 pm
Tickets: On Ticketmaster, $55-$95
- What: Conrad Gmoser, head brewer at the immensely popular Brassneck Brewing, will show how amazing ingredients, an exciting range of yeasts, and a dedication to excellence in beer can taste, in a wide range of German beers. Prost!
- Where: Big Rock Urban Brewery & Eatery – 310 West 4th Avenue, Vancouver
- When: Tuesday, October 18, from 7 to 8:30 pm
- Tickets: On Eventbrite, $15-$20
- What: This play tells the story of Esther and Gilles, who travel 5000 km from Montreal to Vancouver in the dead of winter hoping to start a new life – but find it harder to fit in than they thought. Presented in French with English surtitles.
Where: Studio 16 – 1555 W. 7th Avenue, Vancouver
- When: Tuesday, October 18 at 8 pm; more shows through October 29
Tickets: On Brown Paper Tickets, $26-$30
- What: The Canadian electronic pop duo, Purity Ring, is on tour to support their latest release Another Eternity. Supported by special guest HANA.
- Where: Vogue Theatre – 918 Granville St, Vancouver
- When: Tuesday, October 18 at 8 pm
- Tickets: On Ticketfly, $30
Wednesday, October 19
- What: The Aletown Beer Society will be tapping Driftwood Brewery’s rare, wet-hopped Sartori IPA – pints will be poured until it’s all gone. And when it’s gone, it’s gone – this beer will disappear quickly, not to return until next year’s hop harvest.
- Where: The New Oxford – 1144 Homer Street, Vancouver
- When: Wednesday, October 19 at 5 pm
- Info: On Facebook
- What: This live storytelling series is back to present stories on that uncomfortable, fraught and oh-so-universal theme: coming of age. Sit back and listen, or shudder in recognition – and laugh out loud.
- Where: Revue Stage – 1601 Johnston St, Vancouver
- When: Wednesday, October 19 at 8:30 pm
- Tickets: At Theatrewire, $18-$20
- What: Americans and their Canadian friends are invited to watch live as Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton face off in the final presidential debate ahead of the upcoming US election. Organized by Democrats Abroad Vancouver.
- Where: Rogue Kitchen & Wetbar – 601 West Cordova Street, Vancouver
- When: Wednesday, October 19, from 5 to 8 pm
- Register: At Eventbrite, totally free
- What: Irish punk rock band Stiff Little Fingers have been around a long time – and now they’re back with a bite. The band is touring with guests Vicious Cycles.
- Where: Commodore Ballroom – 868 Granville St, Vancouver
- When: Wednesday, October 19 at 7 pm
- Tickets: At Ticketmaster, $37.50
Thursday, October 20
- What: Noam Gagnon’s vividly theatrical new work is an eccentric exploration of how our bodies and sense of self can morph and evolve. Blending dance, music, text, film and design, Gagnon will whirl you away on a breathless and fantastical ride.
- Where: Scotiabank Dance Centre – 677 Davie St, Vancouver
- When: Thursday, October 20, at 8 pm; more shows through October 22
- Tickets: On Tickets Tonight, $20-$32
- What: They’re coming to get you, Barbara! Live on stage for a limited run, the George A Romero cult classic Night of the Living Dead – in glorious black and white too.
- Where: CBC Studio 700 – 700 Hamilton Street, Vancouver
- When: Thursday, October 20, from 7:30 to 8:30 pm; more shows through October 23
- Tickets: On Eventbrite, $20
- What: This workshop is designed to help you deal with the clutter in your life – in your communication, your productivity at work, your headspace or other areas that matter to you.
- Where: The Tribe Co-Working Space – 68 Water Street, Vancouver
- When: Thursday, October 20, from 6 to 9 pm
- Tickets: On Eventbrite, $45
- What: Yes, hockey is back! In their fourth game of the season, the Vancouver Canucks will face off against the Buffalo Sabres. Show your support in person!
- Where: Rogers Arena – 800 Griffiths Way, Vancouver
- When: Thursday, October 20, at 7 pm
- Tickets: On Ticketmaster, $43.75-$192.75
Friday, October 21
- What: Get into the Halloween spirit, in this star-studded 90s-kid staple about a paranormal expert and his daughter who bunk in an abandoned house populated by three mischievous ghosts and one friendly one. Classic Christina Ricci.
- Where: The Rio Theatre – 1660 East Broadway, Vancouver
- When: Friday, October 21, doors 11:30 pm, movie 11:55 pm
- Tickets: From the Rio, $10 on the door, $8 in advance
- What: This week, the recurring video screening series will look at how music and video in the waning days of the Cold War gave voice to radicalized frustration, creating new models for resistance and new visions for hope, boiled up in wicked fashion.
- Where: Unit/Pitt Projects – 236 East Pender St., Vancouver
- When: Friday, October 21, from 8 to 10 pm
- Info: On Facebook
- What: Dance your face off to DJ sets by Kempeh, Icytouch, Floetic, Seko, Flipout, Physik, Hypnotiq, Jtraxx, Rawkus, Arems, and Turtle – all in aid of ending cancer.
- Where: Republic – 958 Granville Street, Vancouver
- When: Friday, October 21, from 10 pm to 1 am
- Tickets: From F**k Cancer, entry is by t-shirt which can be purchased for $20
- What: On Friday nights the Eastside Flea has a Shop n Bop night – this week it features a Halloween Photo Booth, live DJ, food truck, and pumpkin carving, as well as select vendors, craft beer, artisan showrooms, and pinball.
- Where: The Ellis Building – 1024 Main Street, Vancouver
- When: Friday, October 21, from 6 to 10 pm; market continues over the weekend
- Tickets: From on the door, $3-$5