A stunning multimedia tribute to Mother Earth took place on Monday, July 24, as part of The Drum Is Calling Festival.
This free screening was hosted at Vancouver’s Playhouse Theatre, presented in partnership with the David Suzuki Foundation and curated by Kamala Todd.
Attendees had the opportunity to watch a display which celebrated the important, nurturing work of Indigenous leaders, mothers, weavers, and warriors who remember our obligations to take care of the land, air and water.
Throughout the screening, guests enjoyed visuals from the Salish Sea region and stunning footage of gifted Musqueam artist Debra Sparrow weaving her blanket. They heard songs, poetry, and Chief Dan George’s iconic Lament for Confederation.
Additionally, guests also had the opportunity to experience empowering and uplifting words and a call to action from Chief Dan George’s daughter, Tsleil-Waututh Elder Amy George (aka Ta’ah), Charlene Aleck, other members of the George family, Debra Sparrow, Senaqwila Wyss, Jónína Kirton and Christie Lee Charles. They called for a stop on environmental destruction to ensure a good future for the relations of all.
To celebrate the success of this special multimedia display, Daily Hive has teamed up with The Drum Is Calling Festival to give one lucky reader a VIP festival experience. And it could be you simply by entering the contest below.
Enter for your chance to win a VIP experience package for The Drum Is Calling Festival. The prize includes the following:
- A meet and greet for two with DJ Shub award winning music producer and formerly of a Tribe Called Red.
- VIP access viewing to the concert on Saturday, July 29
- x 2 Complimentary drinks per person and light refreshments
- x 2 Canada 150+ black water bottles
To enter for your chance to win the above VIP experience for The Drum Is Calling Festival, do at least one of the following:
1. Follow Canada 150 + on Instagram – @canada150plus on Instagram and leave a comment below telling us once you have (1 entry)
2. Tweet the following on Twitter: (1 entry)
- Win a VIP experience for #TheDrumIsCallingFestival via @canada150plus @VancityBuzz http://ow.ly/u9ox30dN4ZF RT to enter!
3. Leave a comment below telling us why you’d like to win a VIP experience to The Drum is Calling Festival (1 entry)
Contest entries will be accepted from time and date of publishing until 11:59 am on July 28, 2017. One winner will be chosen at random and contacted through the platform they enter by.
- July 23 – 27 and 30, 1 to 10 pm
- July 28 – 29, 1 to 11 pm
Where: Main festival site at Larwill Park, Vancouver Playhouse Theatre, Vancouver Public Library Atrium, Queen Elizabeth Theatre Lobby and QET Plaza.
Price: Free – Register online prior to events taking place at the Vancouver Playhouse Theatre and Queen Elizabeth Theatre Lobby
Daily Hive is a proud media sponsor of The Drum is Calling Festival