As The Deighton Cup returns to Hastings Race course on Saturday, July 25, it brings along the 3rd Annual Cocktail Jockey Mixology Competition, presented by Bulleit Frontier Bourbon, with it.
The competition will get guests shaken and stirred as 13 of the city’s top bartenders compete before an all-star judging panel to win bragging rights and $1,000 cash.
The competition will see the city’s top bartenders create the ultimate modern expression of a “Horse’s Neck” (traditional recipe below) in the Hastings Grandstand Skybox Patio overlooking the horse racing action.
This 2015 Cocktail Jockey judges are:
- Jay Jones — Principal of BARJONESING
- Robyn Gray — Head Bartender, Prohibition at the Hotel Rosewood Georgia
- Nikki Bayley — Freelance food and travel journalist
- Joel Virginillo – Diageo Canada Reserve Spirit Consultant
“It’s a simple but tasty drink that’s going to challenge competitors to stay true to the inspiration, while at the same time provide generous space for creativity,” says Vancouver Club bartender and Deighton Cup Cocktail Director Alex Black.
The Traditional Horse’s Neck Cocktail
Dating back to the 1890s, the key to a traditional Horse’s Neck is the spiral lemon peel which hangs off the rim of the glass and resembles the neck of a horse hanging into the drink. Sometimes brandy is used instead of Bourbon.
- 2 ounces Bourbon
- 8 ounces Ginger ale
- 2-3 dashes Angostura bitters (optional)
- Spiral lemon peel (for garnish)
Place the spiral lemon peel into a Collins glass. Secure one end of the peel over the lip of the glass. Add ice cubes to the glass. Pour in the bourbon and ginger ale. Add a dash of bitters, if desired. Stir well.
The Deighton Cup – Lucky Number Seven
- When: Saturday, July 25, 2015, Noon to 6 p.m. Post Time (first race) at 1:45 p.m.
- Where: Hastings Racetrack, 188 North Renfrew Street
- Tickets: $35 GA Concourse ($47 with lunch addition), $75 VIP and $150 Cocktail Jockey
- Website: www.deightoncup.com
A pair of all-access passes to The Deighton Cup – Lucky Number Seven. The winner and a guest will get access to the:
- Cocktail Jockey Competition
- VIP Marquee
- Concourse G.A.
- Includes catered lunch, welcome cocktail and host bar
To enter win a pair of tickets to The Deighton Cup — Lucky Number Seven, do at least one of the following:
1. Tweet the following on Twitter (1 entry):
- Win 2 one-of-a-kind, all access passes to @DeightonCup on July 25 via @VancityBuzz http://ow.ly/PRrkK RT to enter! #DeightonCup
2. Like Deighton Cup on Facebook. Leave a comment below telling us once you have (1 entry).
3. Leave a comment telling us why you want to attend The Deighton Cup (1 entry).
Contest entries will be accepted from time and date of publishing until noon PST on July 23, 2015. One winner will be chosen at random and contacted through the platform they enter by.
Vancity Buzz is a proud media sponsor of The Deighton Cup.