A 16-year-old girl has died after an apparent drug overdose in a Port Moody Starbucks on Sunday afternoon.
“On August 7, 2016 at approximately 5:19 PM, the Port Moody Police responded to a report of an unresponsive female at the Starbucks located at 221 Ioco Road,” Port Moody Police Department Sergeant Travis Carroll said in a release.
“Port Moody Police arrived on scene and the BC Ambulance Service and Port Moody Fire Rescue were already on scene attempting to revive a sixteen year old female.”
The alarm had been raised by a Starbucks employee who dialled 911 after discovering the girl in the washroom. Despite the best efforts of the coffee shop’s staff and emergency responders they were unable to revive her.
“There was drug paraphernalia and a small amount of drugs located at the scene that lead the police to suspect a drug overdose,” Sergeant Carroll adds. “The Port Moody Police cannot confirm if fentanyl was involved in this suspected overdose at this time.”
The investigation is continuing and the Port Moody Police Victim Services Unit has been deployed to provide support to the girl’s family.