A student-led group out of Surrey is putting together another year of events to help raise awareness for humanitarian issues and community volunteerism.
Youth Transforming Society (YTS) has raised close to $20,000 since it started in 2010, and donated that money to organizations like the Canadian Red Cross, Salvation Army, Oxfam, and BC Children’s Hospital.
This year, Youth Transforming Society is holding a number of events each month to help raise awareness and funds:
- YTS Scholarship: To recognize youth volunteers, the YTS created a $1000 scholarship. Three scholarships will be awarded to student’s dedicated to creating positive change. Apply online. Applications due March 31. Scholarship presentation in May.
- Adopt a Street: Members will work throughout the year to keep 68 Avenue and 134 Street clean.
- February – Flowers for Happiness: For International Women’s Day, YTS donated hand-made flowers and cards to various women’s shelters in the Lower Mainland.
- March – Outreach Event: Members will visit a community program and spend a few hours volunteering. When more information about the event becomes available, it will be posted on the YTS Facebook page.
- March – Let’s Talk Volunteering: This will be a TEDTalks-style event that highlights the importance of volunteering.
- June – Food Drive: Due to the limited donations to the Surrey Food Bank in the summer, YTS will go door-to-door to collect non-perishable food for the food bank.
- July – Spice Route: Collaborating with several community groups, YTS will showcase the diversity of Indian cuisine in Surrey, to encourage people to visit the municipality.
- August – School Supply Drive: Donations will be accepted for the Salvation Army’s annual School Supply and Backpack Drive to help families in the Lower Mainland.
- September – Volunteering and Beyond: YTS will bring a number of different organizations to schools around the Lower Mainland to give students more volunteering opportunities.
- December – Holiday Breakfast: In partnership with Salvation Army, the YTS will cook a meal for more than 600 homeless individuals in Surrey.
Daily Hive is a proud media sponsor of Youth Transforming Society