This year to date, a staggering number of shootings have already been recorded in Surrey, sparking more public safety concerns for the municipality.
According to Surrey RCMP, there have been 28 shootings during the first three months of 2016, which is half of last year’s entire total. Most of the shootings occurred over the last four weeks.
At this point, Surrey is on pace to exceed the number of shootings it experienced in the previous year.
However, police do not believe the shootings are related to last year’s drug turf war, when there were 18 shootings within a 45-day period beginning in early-March 2015. This year’s incidents are related to a new drug turf conflict between two groups, resulting in five injuries and one death so far.
After making over 800 arrests and detentions last year, we disrupted those who were involved in the drug conflicts last year,” said Superintendent Manny Mann, Investigative Services Officer, in a statement. “The investigations into the recent shootings are progressing well. We are making headway thanks to the cooperation of the public and the intelligence gleaned through our enforcement efforts.”
Efforts to arrest those participating in the new drug turf war led to a major drug bust in Newton on March 16. One man was arrested and $4.5 million worth of drugs was seized, including heroin, cocaine, methamphetamine, fentanyl, and fake oxycontin.
“With the intelligence we are receiving, our proactive enforcement teams are making it very difficult for these people to conduct their illegal business in our city,” said Superintendent Shawn Gill, Community Services Officer.