Chinese New Year is just around the corner and Vancouver’s family-run Chinese brand, Fine Choice Foods, is giving good reason to celebrate. No matter what your background take advantage of the many benefits to living in one of Canada’s most multicultural cities and celebrate the year of the snake on February 10th in the best way possible – with Fine Choice Foods.
FCF promotes health and wellness year-round with their product line Sum-m, which offers top of the line fresh and local vegetables and MSG-free Chinese food. What started out as a humble retail store on Cambie Street has since expanded into a nationally recognized manufacturer of superior Asian Foods. Delicious Sum-m products can be found all across Canada (see a complete list here).
Here’s what you need to know in time for Chinese New Year:
- Food with Family: “Bainian (拜年)” refers to a customary to visit relatives at their homes (people usually congregate at the elders’ homes) to or celebrate New Year’s together. This takes place in the home, and there’s usually lots of food involved – perfect occasion for Sum-m’s delicious appies!
- Get Lucky: Feeling lucky this year? Be sure to treat yourself to tasty gyozas! The gyoza, or “jiaozi (餃子)”, is a northern Chinese tradition. The gyoza itself is symbolic as its shape closely resembles that of a silver ingot, an ancient Chinese currency.
- Giving Gold: A common practice during Chinese New Year is to wish your friends and family a prosperous new year – and what better way to do it by giving them Sum’m spring rolls! Not only are these delicious appies made from fresh local vegetables (catering to health conscious new year’s resolutions), the spring rolls have always been an integral part of CNY celebrations. It is also no coincidence that spring rolls resemble gold bars in both shape and colour – a symbol of wealth and prosperity.
- Red Envelopes (利事 or 红包) are passed out by married couples or elderly, to unmarried juniors. In North America friends and businesses have adapted giving red envelopes to friends and customers. A different version of this tradition can be found in the comfort of Sum-m’s Crispy Wonton. Not only is it a comfort food for many Chinese foodies, it is often said that the wonton resembles a Chinese-style coin purse as the wrapping of each wonton holds its goods carefully like your wallet.
We’re giving away a party pack of Costco sized items. This includes veg spring rolls, pork gyoza, crispy wontons and veg gyoza. To enter all you have to do is the following:
1. Retweet the following:
- Win a sample @FineChoiceFoods party pack via @VancityBuzz http://ow.ly/hc6y7 RT to Enter!
Contest ends February 4, 2013. One winner will be drawn at random.