We’re trying ever-so-hard to be healthier: exercising on a regular basis, eating our fruits and veggies each day and applying our fave new organic face cream. We’ve even started using environmentally-friendly cleaning products in our home. Our next move is to change our shampoo and conditioner for sulfate-free alternatives.
Sodium laureth sulfate (SLS) and sodium lauryl sulfate (SLES) are found in our favourite shampoos and conditioners (and many other beauty products, such as body wash, toothpaste and facial cleansers). They are surfactants and detergents and are derived from petroleum. These chemicals are known to cause irritation to the skin, eyes and lungs. And as we’re talking haircare, sulfates can give you a case of the frizzies, can damage hair by stripping the oils and protective molecules that your hair needs to maintain strength and shine, and may fade your perfectly-colored locks too. Perhaps it’s time to try a more natural approach to your hair?
Here are some fantastic sulfate-free products that will have your hair looking its best and healthiest every day.
- Alterna Haircare CAVIAR Anti-Aging Replenishing Moisture Shampoo and Conditioner ($37 each; Sephora)
- Giovanni Smooth As Silk Deep Moisture Shampoo and Conditioner $9.79 each; Well.ca)
- John Masters Organics Zinc & Sage Shampoo with Conditioner ($28; BeautyMark)
- Living Proof Full Shampoo and Conditioner ($29 each; Sephora)
- L’Oreal Paris EverSleek Sulfate-Free Smoothing System Intense Smooth Shampoo and Conditioner ($10.99 each; London Drugs)
- Weleda Oat Replenishing Shampoo and Conditioner ($13.75; Weleda)
What’s your favourite sulfate-free hair care product?