FEATURED EVENTS IN YOUR CITY
Once every year, Vancouver’s LGBTQ community gathers to acknowledge the contributions made by its leaders.
But for 2017, plans for the event have changed. Formerly known as the Legacy Awards, the StandOUT Awards will be held Thursday, June 22 as the first event that kicks of the summer-long Vancouver Pride season.
There will be six award categories for individuals that identify as LGBTQ:
- business leader advocating for LGBTQ rights
- educator teaching LGBTQ rights and issues
- environmental leader for protecting the environment
- youth leader for young individuals who stand out
- social activist for LGBTQ rights
- Kimberly Nixon Trans Activist Contribution to Community Award to recognize an exceptional transgender individual who has made an impact in the fight for transgender rights
The reception will be held at the Roundhouse Community Centre in Yaletown, and food will be catered by Milestones and special guest Celebrity Chef Jack Demers from Chopped Canada.
Food is included, and there will be a cash bar, ASL interpretation, photo booth, music by cellist and guitarist Chris Solaczek, and much more.
Hosted by Daily Hive’s Zain Meghji, the inspirational awards show kicks off at 7:30 pm, although doors open at 6 pm. Awards to the six extraordinary recipients will be presented by sponsors and esteemed community members.
All proceeds from the night go towards the Pride Youth Scholarships.
When: 6 to 10 pm Thursday, June 22
Where: Roundhouse Community Arts and Recreation Centre – 181 Roundhouse Mews, Vancouver
Daily Hive is a proud partner of the Vancouver Pride Society