A Special Weather Statement remains in effect for coastal BC, including parts of Metro Vancouver.
According to Environment Canada, “heavy rain and strong winds are in store for coastal communities of BC this weekend.”
Environment Canada says that the heaviest rainfall is expected to take place on the west side of Vancouver Island and in communities on the Central Coast.
The Special Weather Statement also applies to parts of Metro Vancouver including:
- Metro Vancouver – North Shore including West Vancouver and North Vancouver
- Metro Vancouver – northeast including Coquitlam and Maple Ridge
“Mountainous regions further south including the Sunshine Coast, Howe Sound, and the North Shore Mountains will also see significant rainfall, potentially exceeding the rainfall warning criteria of 50 mm in 24 hours,” says the weather statement.
Strong winds are also expected to accompany the heavy downpour, with areas such as West Vancouver Island, Central Coast, and North Coast seeing winds in excess of 90 km/h on Saturday morning.
Members of the public are reminded to keep an eye on any rainfall and wind warnings from Environment Canada that may develop over the course of the weekend.
- There will be lane closures on the Lions Gate Bridge this weekend
- Buses still being rerouted downtown Vancouver after Thursday night accident
- Coast Guard investigating fuel spill in English Bay on Thursday