With the SkyTrain Evergreen extension opening just in time for the holidays, you can finally explore the festive events the Tri-Cities have to offer.
The 11-kilometre SkyTrain expansion travels through Burquitlam, Coquitlam, and Port Moody. So this year, take a break from decking the halls and add a new tradition to your family’s holiday season.
With everything from Christmas concerts to skating with Santa himself, here are a few exciting and accessible holiday events to check out along the Evergreen Line.
- What: The Lights at Lafarge display promises to be bigger and better than ever this year with grander displays including over 100,000 twinkling lights and even more activities and holiday entertainment for the whole family. Open nightly from dusk until midnight, this is a holiday activity that is sure to wow those big and small.
- Where: Evergreen Cultural Centre and Town Centre Park–1205 Pinetree Way, Coquitlam
- When: Now until January 22
- Admission: Free
- Closest to: LaFarge Lake-Douglas station
- What: Santa has officially arrived at Coquitlam Centre’s Santaland and Santa and his Elves are eager to meet you and your little ones! This year while waiting in line to have their pictures taken, kids can attend “Elf School” and become an honourary Elf! As usual, photos with Santa will happen all day long and are available for pick-up immediately following your visit.
- Where: Coquitlam Centre – 2929 Barnet Hwy, Coquitlam
- When: Now until December 24. Monday to Saturday from 10 am to 9 pm. Sunday 10 am to 6 pm. Please note that Santa feeds his reindeer at approximately 12:30 pm, 3 pm, and 6pm. Open December 24 from 10 am to 3 pm.
- Price: $14 to $55 for photo packages
- Closest to: Lincoln Station
- What: On December 11, the Port Moody Recreation Complex is hosting its annual Santa Skate where you can spend a few hours drinking hot chocolate and playing games on the ice.
- Where: Port Moody Recreation Complex – 300 Ioco Road, Port Moody
- When: Saturday, December 11, 1 to 4:15 pm
- Price: $3.50 per person. You can rent skates and helmets for $3.50 and $2.35, respectively.
- Closest to: Inlet Centre Station
- What: For the last 18 years, the Canadian Pacific Holiday Train has been travelling through over 150 communities, and raised close to $10.6 million and 3.6 million pounds of food for local food banks. Travelling all the way from Quebec to BC, the last stop this year is in Port Coquitlam. Expect an amazing light show from the 1,000 foot long train, music from internationally acclaimed musician Dallas Smith, as well as other festive surprises for the whole family.
- Where: 300 Ioco Road, Port Moody – behind Port Moody Arena and Recreation Centre
- When: Saturday, December 17 at 4:20 pm
- Admission: Free, but be sure to bring food or cash donations!
- Closest to: Moody Centre Station
- What: Join Caelestra, a traditional Celtic ensemble, at the Evergreen Cultural Centre for an evening of Yuletide music both old and new from around the globe. With five talented musicians playing the flute, harp, guitars, hand drums, and the cello, this concert is full of rich vocal harmonies that will keep you captivated from beginning to end.
- Where: Evergreen Cultural Centre – 1205 Pinetree Way, Coquitlam
- When: Sunday, December 18, at 7:30 pm
- Admission: Adults $25, Seniors $20, Students $16
- Closest to: Lafarge Lake-Douglas