Get your skates on! Just in time for the start of the Christmas season, the Robson Square Ice Rink will be open to everyone of all ages for FREE skating beginning December 1.
The rink at Robson Square is operated seasonally by the provincial government when the temperatures begin to dip, running from morning into the late evening hours. This year, the free rink will remain open through the Christmas Holidays, including Christmas Day and New Year’s Day.
Skaters can skate for free if they bring their own skates while those without skates can rent a pair on-site. There is also a concession stand serving snacks and warm drinks.
Just in time for the 2010 Olympic Winter Games, the rink was repaired and upgraded for $2 million, with General Electric providing a gift covering approximately one-third of the cost.
Prior to the 2009-2010 rink opening, the rink was closed for nearly a decade. And since the reopening, it has quickly become one of Vancouver’s most celebrated winter traditions.
Robson Square Ice Rink dates and times
- Open from December 1, 2015 until February 28, 2016.
- Sunday to Thursday – 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Friday and Saturday – 9 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Holiday dates and times
- Christmas Eve, December 24 – 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Christmas Day, December 25 – 12 to 5 p.m.
- Boxing Day, December 26 – 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- New Year’s Eve, December 31 – 9 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- New Year’s Day, January 1 – 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Skate rentals are $4.00
- Skate rental ends 30 mins prior to close
- Cash only
- Helmets are mandatory for Children 12 years and under
- Skate and helmet rentals, and a concession stand are available on site
- Skating is free if you bring your own skates
Robson Square Ice Skating Rink
Where: 800 Robson Street, Vancouver (Robson & Howe)