Vancouverites have three options for recycling their live, cut Christmas tree:
- Bring your tree to a tree chipping event
- Put your tree out with your yard waste to be collected by the City
- Drop your tree off at the landfill or transfer station
Bring your tree for chipping, donate to charity
Every year on the first weekend of January, City staff and Lions Club volunteers provide Christmas tree chipping events. After the trees are chipped, they are taken to the Vancouver Landfill to be composted.
Your cash and non-perishable food donations collected at the events will be distributed to local charities.
Tree chipping on January 4 and 5, 2014
Drop-off your Christmas tree from 10:00am to 4:00pm at one of these locations:
- Kerrisdale Community Ice Rink parking lot
(5670 E Blvd, north of 41st Ave)
- Kitsilano Beach parking lot
(Cornwall Ave and Arbutus St)
- Sunset Beach upper parking lot
(Beach Ave and Broughton St)
- Rona Home & Garden
(Grandview store – 2727 E 12th Ave)
- Tree Chipping for Mount Pleasant Elementary School
Sunday, January 5, 2014 only from 10:00am to 4:00pm
Kingsgate Mall (370 East Broadway) lower east side parking lot
All proceeds here go to building a new playground at the school
Remember to remove all decorations and tinsel.
Set out your tree with your food scraps and yard waste
If the City collects your food scraps and yard waste, you can set your live, cut Christmas tree out on your regular collection day.
crews will collect Christmas trees until January 31. Christmas trees are collected manually, using a different truck than the regular yard waste truck.
If your Christmas tree is not collected on your scheduled yard waste day, leave it set out for a later pickup.
To get your tree ready to be collected:
- Remove all decorations and tinsel
- Place the tree on its side, 1 m away from your garbage and green bins
- Leave the tree loose (do not place the tree in a bag, or bundle it with string or rope)
Drop off your tree at the Landfill or Transfer Station
You can bring your tree to the Vancouver Landfill or the Vancouver South Transfer Station for free until January 31. Remove all decorations and tinsel before dropping off your tree.
Image: Christmas Tree on Pavement / Shutterstock